• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Sganzin's Comoro Blue-Pigeon ... in French (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
I have to reurn to Monsieur Victor Sganzin (who suposedly died in 1841) ...
... est décéde à Lorient, le 23 Février 1841, à lʼâge de quarante-deux ans. C'était un observateur zélé et les observations, que nous possédons de lui sur plusiers animaux malgasches, sont fort intréssantes. (from here)

Which I suspect is the same guy as the one commemorated in the scientific name ...

sganzini as in:
• Comoro Blue-Pigeon Alectroenas sganzini BONAPARTE 1854 (here) as "Fun. [Funingus] sganzini, O. des Murs, d'apres Verreaux. ..." ... no dedication nor any explanation.

Apparently this name was coined earlier by Œillet des Murs and/or (Jules?) Verreaux, but where and when is unknown (to me). Bonaparte himself seems totally unaware of late Monsieur Sqanzin, maybe he didn´t know him at all?

Other sources claim Monsieur Sganzin to have been "… né à Strasbourg en 1799". But if he truly did is also unknown to me. However, this far, no dates found on his birth.

Today's HBW Alive Key has him as:
sganzini
Capt. Victor Sganzin (fl. 1840) French Army, Governor of Ile Sainte-Marie, Madagascar 1831-1832, naturalist, collector (Alectroenas).

Anyone now know anything additional!?

Björn

PS. He's also mentioned earlier in this Forum, back in 2014, in thread ... and 22 plausible etymologies! (here), even if that certain Post (that I have to admit) wasn´t, the easiest one, neither to read nor to follow in thought! ;).
--

Last edited:
Death certificate: [here]; click on Liste des communes, go to letter 'L', scroll down and select Lorient (paroisse et commune) (420); select Décès; Année exacte: 1841; click Rechercher; open the file Lorient, Commune de Lorient - décès - 1841-1841; go to image 28/129: he's the third one on the left side (#222).

Charles Victor Joseph Sganzin
b. 2 Jun 1798, Strasbourg (Bas-Rhin), d. 23 Feb. 1841, Lorient (Morbihan).
Capitaine en premier au Régiment d'artillerille de marine.
Knight of the Legion of Honour (but I don't find him on Léonore).

Apparently this name was coined earlier by Œillet des Murs and/or (Jules?) Verreaux, but where and when is unknown (to me). Bonaparte himself seems totally unaware of late Monsieur Sqanzin, maybe he didn´t know him at all?
It seems it was first used in print by Chenu & Oeillet des Murs, earlier on the same year, [here].
They attributed the name to J & E Verreaux (perhaps they got it from some unpublished source, such as a specimen label), and did not describe the bird (i.e. the name is a nomen nudum).

"They attributed the name to J & E Verreaux (perhaps they got it from some unpublished source, such as a specimen label)"
Here in 1887 it says, Columba Sganzini J. Verreaux ms.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/113518#page/289/mode/1up .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/6389509#page/58/mode/1up .
http://www.euppublishing.com/doi/abs/10.3366/anh.2017.0421 .
It might come from this Sganzin article from 1840 from Strasbourg natural history publication:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/105918#page/154/mode/1up .

Last edited:
Charles Victor Joseph Sganzin
b. 2 Jun 1798, Strasbourg (Bas-Rhin), d. 23 Feb. 1841, Lorient (Morbihan).
Capitaine en premier au Régiment d'artillerille de marine.
Knight of the Legion of Honour (but I don't find him on Léonore).

Must be 21 Messidor VI?

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Blue Pigeon Alectroenas sganzini Bonaparte, 1854
Captain Victor Sganzin (d.1841) was a French naval gunnery officer and entomologist who was Governor of Île Sainte-Marie. He travelled in Madagascar (1831–1832) where he claimed to have seen the gigantic egg of the extinct 'elephant bird', and perhaps acquired it. It was rumoured that an egg was sold to the natural history dealers Verreaux (q.v.), but that the ship carrying it to France ran aground on the rocks of La Rochelle and all specimens lost. He wrote 'Notes sur les mammifères et sur l'ornithologie de l'île de Madagascar (1831 et 1832)'.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back