• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worlaby Carrs, lincs (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Seems to be a good spot for wintering raptors - 3 male hen harriers and upto 6 SE Owls rescently reported.

Can anyone provide details of where to watch - is it from the lane between the villages of Worlaby and Bonby or do you need to walk for a distance?Considering a day trip next weekend. I presume hunting birds are best towards late afternoon?

Thanks in advance of any help.:t:

Seems to be a good spot for wintering raptors - 3 male hen harriers and upto 6 SE Owls rescently reported.

Can anyone provide details of where to watch - is it from the lane between the villages of Worlaby and Bonby or do you need to walk for a distance?Considering a day trip next weekend. I presume hunting birds are best towards late afternoon?

Thanks in advance of any help.:t:

Hi Wolfbirder

I know a man who can. A man called Roger who runs the WILDLIFE HELPLINE
NATIONAL SERVICE Covering the United Kingdom and Southern Ireland, from Lincoln. He is a very helpful and knowledgeable Natural Historian, I've known him for many years, I'm sure he would be able to point you in the right direction so to speak.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wildlife21237/

Richard

Hello Wolfbirder,

We have been to Worlaby Carrs a couple of times recently. On the north edge of the village of Worlaby there is a lane going west called Carr Lane. (There is also a Carr Lane in the nearby village of Bonby, you don`t want that one). Go down Carr Lane and over a small bridge over the river. There is a hardstanding on the left here, and this is the best place to park and watch for the owls, SEOs and Barn Owls. The best time for the owls tends to be late afternoon. Further on down the lane is a good place to look for Harriers and also Stonechats. Peregrines are also sometimes seen.
There are no facilities here, but you are not far from the reserve at Far Ings where there are some and a visitors centre which is open at weekends. There is a drake Smew on the reserve at the moment.

Hope this is of some help

Terry & Eileen.

Excellent - thanks for your respective replies. hope to go next weekend if the Desert Wheatear happens to linger that long.

Been delaying the trip a while but i love these wintering raptor/owl spots.

Just an updat efor those who can be bothered - got to this wonderful location on the way home from the Burniston Desert Wheatear yesterday. What a place to finish the day off at - saw up to 7 SE owls, Barn Owl, ringtail Hen Harrier, Buzzards, Kestrels, Kingfisher, Stonechats. Very atmospheric!

Also had a great time at Tophill Low NR north of Beverley. What a place that was too! Great views of drake Smew. They have really gone out of their way to create a great reserve here.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back