• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nicaragua MP3 CD (1 Viewer)

Thanks, its always useful to hear about new recordings for the northern half of Central America as there is so little available for many species.

Tom

Thanks, its always useful to hear about new recordings for the northern half of Central America as there is so little available for many species.

Tom

I have been exploring Xeno-canto lately re Costa Rican birds and there is a bunch, but for some species I have listened to South American recordings ...

Niels

I haven't researched the prospects for a Nicaraguan trip seriously yet, but it does seem to me that no one field guide now available could be used exclusively. Birds of northern affinity would be covered by the Howell/Webb guide (Mexico and northern Central America), and birds of southern affinity by the Garrigues/Dean Costa Rica guide. Perhaps the publication of a field guide for Nicaragua might even stimulate more interest among birders. Having the MP3 CD before such a guide seems a bit like "putting the cart before the horse", but at least it highlights Nicaragua as a birding destination.

I hear you on a field guide needed for Nicaragua. Maybe someone is working on one? I havent checked out the MP3 product but it looks to be nearly comprehensive.

I hear you on a field guide needed for Nicaragua. Maybe someone is working on one? I havent checked out the MP3 product but it looks to be nearly comprehensive.

Bernard (with Birdsounds.nl) had reported earlier that they are bringing out a Costa Rica compilation that will be available either on CD (MP3 format) or as an iPhone/iPod app. When I suggested the possibility of a package price of some sort he indicated that he'd consider it. Might be a first step toward a product for Central America somewhat comparable to the North American iBird Explorer. December was the target release date, but it's been pushed back.

The Nicaragua compilation does look like a reasonably good alternative.

About three years back there were a couple of CDs published about the birds of El Salvador by Sermeno. This would cover some of the gaps in northern Central America. Unfortunately, I don't know how you can get hold of them. Your best bet would be through SalvaNATURA (I bought mine at the front desk of their office, but I don't know of an online resource).

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back