• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

With the water levels so low at Carsington, passage waders are being regularly picked up. Dave and Chris had 2 Greenshank and 3 Turnstone today, along with Dunlin and a good number of Ringed Plover. Earlier Mark had 2 Whimbrel. This evening on Stones island I was watching a group of Ringed Plover and Dunlin, when they were joined by a juvenile Little Stint.
Waders this month are:
Lapwing
Oystercatcher
Redshank
Greenshank
Green Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Golden Plover
Dunlin
Sanderling
Knot
Little Stint
Whimbrel
Little ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Black tailed Godwit

I make that 15 species, and possibly Snipe and Curlew too.

With the water levels so low at Carsington, passage waders are being regularly picked up. Dave and Chris had 2 Greenshank and 3 Turnstone today, along with Dunlin and a good number of Ringed Plover. Earlier Mark had 2 Whimbrel. This evening on Stones island I was watching a group of Ringed Plover and Dunlin, when they were joined by a juvenile Little Stint.
Waders this month are:
Lapwing
Oystercatcher
Redshank
Greenshank
Green Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Golden Plover
Dunlin
Sanderling
Knot
Little Stint
Whimbrel
Little ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Black tailed Godwit

I make that 15 species, and possibly Snipe and Curlew too.

We stayed until around 20.15 last night watching the Little Stint together with 12 Ringed Plover and 4 Dunlin. We also had a Curlew over so that is def 16 species of Wader. A Yellow Wag on Stones earlier in the day as well as all the other Waders, 2 Raven, drake Red Crested Pochard made it a very good day.

Black Necked Grebe at Ogston this morning in Chapel Bay. Perhaps the one from Church Wilne?

Last edited:
August's Wader count continues to rise with a brief visit from a Ruff yesterday morning. I didn't manage to see it but a few others did including Clive (I think).
Grey Herons are also making the most of the low water levels with numbers into double figures.

The Little Egret is still present and tends to stay around Sheepwash. A drake eclipse Red Crested Pochard has been near the Wildlife Centre for a few days. Both Teal and Gadwall are starting to trickle back.

Waders seen yesterday was the juvenile Little Stint early morning but it looks like it probably left. 8 Common Sandpipers, 16 Ringed Plover, 4 Dunlin, Whimbrel and a few LRP's (at least 6 young have been successfully raised).

Clive and I had a walk down to Hopton End in the hope of some more Waders, but, although we didn't get anything of note we did have 3 Crossbills over which was a site tick for me.

Here's July bird notes for Carsington.

Highlights: Little Egret, Red Kite, Mediterranean Gull, Grasshopper Warbler and Crossbill.

By the end of July, this year’s numbers of broods totalled: Little Grebe 1 (1 last year), Great Crested Grebe 3 (8), Mallard 20 (20), Tufted Duck 4 (26), Moorhen 3 (7) and Coot 3 (12). Maximum counts, excluding young, were 5 Little Grebe on 25th, 32 Great Crested Grebe on the official WeBS count carried out on 18th, 24 Cormorant on 29th, 1 Little Egret on 1-4th and 25-31st, 12 Heron on 27th, 22 Mute Swan on 6th plus 6 cygnets, 2 Greylag Geese on 10th, 359 Canada Geese on 18th, 1 juvenile Shelduck on 3rd and 26th, 1 Wigeon on 14th and 23rd, 5 Gadwall on 6th, 4 Teal on 6th, 267 Mallard on 22nd, 4 Pochard on 20th, 182 Tufted Duck on 18th, 4 Common Scoter on 21st and 30th, 8 Goosander on 27th and 408 Coot on 18th.

Raptors included 2 Red Kite together over Fishtail Creek on 29th at 1845hrs before gliding off northeast, Sparrow Hawk carrying prey on 6th and 25th, 6 Buzzards on 13th and at least 2 young calling from woodland on 28th, 2 Kestrel on 25th and many records of Peregrines, with 3 together over Hopton Arm on 31st.

Little Ringed Plover have taken advantage of the wide shore available this year and bred, showing a brood of 4 on 25th and another brood of 4 on 26th. Wader maximum numbers were 5 Oystercatchers on 23rd, 8 Little Ringed Plover on 29th excluding young, 3 well flighted juvenile Ringed Plover on 11th, at least 50 Lapwing on 18th, a Sanderling at the Wildlife Centre on 19th, 7 Dunlin on 18th, an early Snipe on 30th, 3 Black-tailed Godwit on 11th and singles on many dates, 1 Curlew on 11th, 4 Redshank on 18th, 5 Greenshank on 13th, 2 Green Sandpiper on 28th and a site record 18 Common Sandpipers on 18th.

A well flighted juvenile Mediterranean Gull was at the Wildlife Centre on 19th. This is the first juvenile recorded on site and one asks where has it travelled from. An adult Med Gull was also at the Wildlife Centre on 21st. Black-headed Gull numbers totalled 270 on 20th including 55 juveniles, but not all had hatched here. There were 4 Common Gulls on 20-22nd and Lesser Black-backed Gull numbers were increasing, with 180 on 20th. The winter resident adult Yellow-legged Gull was on site from 3rd and seen devouring a smallish mammal on 4th thought to be a mole, followed by a Little Grebe on 13th, surprised it could find one! Other Yellow-legged Gulls were on site, with 5 recorded on 21st. Common Terns were passing through in very small numbers, with a maximum of 5 on 23rd and 1 Arctic Tern on 22nd.

Swifts looked to be feeding young in the eaves of the Visitor Centre early in the month and 50 were noted passing through on 13th. An adult and a juvenile Green Woodpecker were together at Millfields on 13th. Early passage was noted with a Meadow Pipit on the dam wall on 22nd, a Yellow Wagtail on Sheepwash Spit on 25th and a Wheatear on the dam wall on 28th. A Grasshopper Warbler was heard reeling near Millfields Island on 23rd and remained until 27th. A Reed Warbler family were seen in Hopton Arm Reedbed on 17th and a pair of Spotted Flycatcher were feeding 3 just fledged youngsters in Penn Carr on 13th. A nationwide Crossbill movement has been well noted here with fly-overs of 3 on 13th, 6 on 22nd, at least 1 on 23rd, 2 on 24th and 12 on 26th. Finally one observer reported 2 bizarre predations occurring within one half hour on 30th. A mole, crawling across the hard foreshore towards vegetation, in front of Sheepwash Hide, was attacked, killed and taken by 3 Magpies, only to be followed by a Southern Hawker dragonfly taken in mid-air by a Blackbird.

105 Species were recorded this month (well above the former July record of 102 in 2004), compared with 91 in July 2010, 95 in 2009, 97 in 2008, 94 in 2007, 94 in 2006 and 97 in 2005.

Still some good stuff at Carsi, I had 3 Little Egrets (4 earlier), Greenshank, Redshank,3 Dunlin and 3 Ringed Plover. Other waders reported, Green Sandpiper and Sanderling. The Yellow legged Gull was eating a fish at Sheepwash, and 13 Little Grebes may provide it with food over the coming months!

Had a little time this evening at Carsington. Was surprised how low it is! Had a look around the wildlife centre and horseshoe and walked round from there. A good few chiffchaffs were along there. Walking back towards the wildlife centre, I had 3 Black tailed godwits flying west. Onto stones, to take a look in the gulls, I had 4 Yellow Legged Gulls, 3 adults and a 3rd cyr bird. Now also in the roost was something which confused me. To my eye going from the back, it was a classic Kittiwake. But as I got to its bill, it was quite short and dark coloured appearing a little stubby. There was no black mark behind the eye either. Not sure what to make of it??

Had a little time this evening at Carsington. Was surprised how low it is! Had a look around the wildlife centre and horseshoe and walked round from there. A good few chiffchaffs were along there. Walking back towards the wildlife centre, I had 3 Black tailed godwits flying west. Onto stones, to take a look in the gulls, I had 4 Yellow Legged Gulls, 3 adults and a 3rd cyr bird. Now also in the roost was something which confused me. To my eye going from the back, it was a classic Kittiwake. But as I got to its bill, it was quite short and dark coloured appearing a little stubby. There was no black mark behind the eye either. Not sure what to make of it??

You dont mention the age of this Gull Michael - juvenile Kittiwake will have a dark bill, but still should show the dark smudge (unless its already moulting its hind neck).

Richard and I did Wyver briefly yesterday evening but it was very quiet........still plenty of hirundines between there and the woods opposite, a few teal etc but no hoped for waders. Richard had a brief Peregrine whilst scanning and then we moved to the north of the county enjoying good views of Long Eared Owl and 3 youngsters learning how to hunt.

A half decent day at Carsi yesterday. Walked the Dam Wall in the hope of Wheatear or Yellow Wags but had to settle for a Skylark. A lot of the Waders that had been around Stones Island over the past few days looked like they had all shipped out, did have 2 Ringed Plover, Redshank and an Oystercatcher though.

4 Little Egrets were recorded on Sunday but I only had 2. 12 Grey Herons scatterd around site. Wildfowl included eclipse drake Red Crested Pochard, 25 Teal and 15 Gadwall. A juvenile Peregrine put on a good show half heartedly attacking everything in sight.

At least 8 Common Sandpipers still around, one of the families of LRP's were at Millfields and 3 Snipe at Sheepwash. Also 5 Buzzards over the woods.

Back on Stones for the last couple of hours and a few more Waders had come in. Another Ringed Plover was with 3 Dunlin and at around 19.30, 3 Whimbrel dropped in. A single Yellow Wagtail on the Island too.

The Gull roost was quite big last night. At least 800 Lessers, 2 adult Yellow Legged Gulls and 2 adult Common Gulls.

With a little help I managed to find a juv Med Gull with the BH Gulls in front of the sailing club.

Michael, there were 2 adult Common Gulls in the roost so perhaps your 'Kittiwake'. Doesn't explain the dark bill though.

Last edited:
part of the after noon at carsington yesterday, highlights were 3 gray herons 2 of which were having a bath, 1 little egret, and one of the yellow legged gulls eating an eel.

i was then bashed round the head by a blue tit while walking up the path from the hide back to the main path which was a surprise.

Juvenile Spotshank at Willington currently.

Yes a nice looking juvenile bird. First heard it calling from platform 2 then had good views from platform 4 and then later at the Canal Pit. Also present was 2 Little Egrets, 2 Green Sands, 2 Common Sands, Dunlin, Oyc and c500 Lapwing.

We then went to Newton Solney where I hadn't been before but was pleasantly surprised. The place doesn't look anything to shout about but it certainly had some good stuff. 3 Little Egrets, Grey Heron, 12 Goosander, 4 Green Sands, 2 Common Sands, Common Tern, Great Spot Wood, Gren Wood and 5+ Yellow Wags. We then heard some Swallows alarm calling above us and looked up to see 2 Hobbies.

Juv Spotted Redshank at Carsington today, first on Sheepwash spit (Paul Stanley side) and then later at the Wildlife centre. Later still, seen again on Sheepwash spit. Also present, Green Sandpiper, 6 Common Sandpiper,3 Ringed Plover, Dunlin, 6+ LRP,2 Peregrine,Little Egret, Reed Warbler,4 Wigeon, Pochard, Red crested Pochard and 5 Shoveler.

Saw the Spotted Redshank from the wildlife centre, also Red Crested Pochard. Decided to walk the dam wall, which pretty much revealed loads of Pied wags. Also 2 juvenile grey wagtails were a nice site. Yellow Legged Gull flew through.

Juv Spotted Redshank at Carsington today, first on Sheepwash spit (Paul Stanley side) and then later at the Wildlife centre. Later still, seen again on Sheepwash spit. Also present, Green Sandpiper, 6 Common Sandpiper,3 Ringed Plover, Dunlin, 6+ LRP,2 Peregrine,Little Egret, Reed Warbler,4 Wigeon, Pochard, Red crested Pochard and 5 Shoveler.

Yes it was a good day mate. John had the Spot Red at Sheepwash in the evening. Nothing else came in after you left. Roger has had an Osprey this morning.

Just worked out that the Spotted Redshank at Carsi yesterday was the 20th Wader species this month. Quite incredible really.

1. Oystercatcher
2. Little Ringed Plover
3. Ringed Plover
4. Golden Plover
5. Lapwing
6. Knot
7. Sanderling
8. Little Stint
9. Dunlin
10. Ruff
11. Snipe
12. Black-Tailed Godwit
13. Whimbrel
14. Curlew
15. Spotted Redshank
16. Redshank
17. Greenshank
18. Green Sandpiper
19. Common Sandpiper
20. Turnstone

Another Ruff at Carsington this evening. Roger found one at the Wildlife Centre. That's the 3rd Ruff this month.
Had a few hours with C Brown this morning. Of note was 78 Teal, 4 Wigeon, Pochard, 8 Common Sands, 5 LRP's, 6 Greylags, 5 Yellow Wags, 2 Grey Wags, 2 Kestrels, and the ad Yellow Legged Gull.

A fairly average day at Carsington yesterday compared to recent weeks, but seeing 19 Yellow Wags on Stones Island around teatime more than made up for it. We walked on and could hear some calling. Then a flock flew right in front of us containing 17 birds, then another 2 flew over. Our biggest flock of Yellow Wags there and probably the best Autumn count. 30 was recorded in April 2007.

Other birds seen yesterday was 11 Grey Heron, 8 Greylag Geese, 4 Wigeon, Red Crested Pochard, 2 Ringed Plover, 6 Little Ringed Plover, 5 Common Sands, Yellow Legged Gull, 4 Buzzards, Peregrine (twice), Hobby, well over 100 Swallows early on with more moving through throughout the day, and 5 Linnets.

I was standing on Stones Island causeway with John and Alan when John picked 4 largish Waders in flight but we never saw them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back