• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

Went up to Carsington this morning, where a Little Egret was on Stones Island.
Quiet otherwise, though a Redstart was singing in the Wildlife centre creek.

Attachments

• 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 53
Been over to a local spot in Notts with breeding Black Necked Grebes, at least two but we think three pairs and four young minimum noted. Its an unusual spot and one that could easily be repeated this side of the border so am wondering why we dont get them in Derbyshire very often?
Its odd that there can be breeding birds only just over County boundaries that we dont get here.....they dont know the boundary line after all!

Been over to a local spot in Notts with breeding Black Necked Grebes, at least two but we think three pairs and four young minimum noted. Its an unusual spot and one that could easily be repeated this side of the border so am wondering why we dont get them in Derbyshire very often?
Its odd that there can be breeding birds only just over County boundaries that we dont get here.....they dont know the boundary line after all!

Woodlark is the one that really interests me.... not far away from the border but really scarce here... indeed I've never seen one in Derbys!

Steph'

A bit more on the Stone Curlew...........the bird was seen by two people independently. It was seen c.9.30 on the ground but flew NE. Someone else saw it from a distance and had already added it to DOS when the original birder got home.
So sounds like a good record.

A Reed Warbler down Wyver Lane this morning is a new species for the year and the 101st species of 2013. It was in quite an odd location though, singing just down from the hide but on the other side of the lane. Other Warblers were 2 Sedge, 3 Whitethroats, 2 Blackcaps and a Chiffy.

Talking of hides, I couldn't access the hide today despite aligning the correct numbers on the lock. Try as I might it wouldn't budge. It's as if somebody as tampered with it. The DWT have been informed.

The 3 BH Gull chicks are still ok on the raft and are growing fast, as is the Oyc chick on the island. At least 3 Gadwall on the main pool, also a female Mallard with 7 young, pair of Mandarin, drake Tuftie and a Grey Heron. Coots still with 3 young on the top pool.

There was a family group of 7 Long-tailed Tits on the lane and 50+ House Martins buzzing over the pools.

Great White Egret down at Langley Mill: One on the flashes off Plumtree Avenue at 17:15. Take footpath under A610 to railway to view.

Last edited:
Checked the local Barn Owls tonight as they had not been seen for a couple of weeks.
The nest site is deserted with just an old egg still there.
Looks like they have moved on unfortunately or suffered more than we thought with the very late snow etc.

Great White Egret down at Langley Mill: One on the flashes off Plumtree Avenue at 17:15. Take footpath under A610 to railway to view.

Trying to find this on google maps and not having any joy. Closest I can find is plumptre road as it is on google maps, which is off cromford road and plumptre road goes into stoney lane which goes under the a610. Is it just road side parking down there?

Park on plumtree and walk in to the reserve from there.
It's still present now but mobile and has just moved back up towards Brinsley.
It's a big area so the other option is to park at the dog kennels down the very bumpy stoneyford lane.

Latest report for the GWE: Still present on flashes early morning then flushed by dog walker and flew north. Appeared to land on north marsh but no further sign.

Checked the local Barn Owls tonight as they had not been seen for a couple of weeks.
The nest site is deserted with just an old egg still there.
Looks like they have moved on unfortunately or suffered more than we thought with the very late snow etc.

That's a shame. I wonder what caused them to move on? Disturbance, lack of food etc? Guess we'll never know. It will be interesting to see how other pairs in the area have faired.

Park on plumtree and walk in to the reserve from there.
It's still present now but mobile and has just moved back up towards Brinsley.
It's a big area so the other option is to park at the dog kennels down the very bumpy stoneyford lane.

Thanks Daniel, noted for future reference when my brother or mum are free with the cars. Would have had to have got bus to cromford road and then walk the rest of the way if we attempted it today.

The fact that there is one at Avenue Washlands may have something to do with it!
The times could well fit. Not sure of the age of the Chesterfield bird?
Would be interesting to see pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back