• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black headed Gull thinks it's a Gannet! (1 Viewer)

trw

Walking past the local river the other day I noticed a Black headed Gull dive bombing vertically at great speed from a considerable height-just like a Gannet.
It repeated this action at least three times.
It looked like it was trying to catch fish but was ,in fact, merely bathing and washing itself.
Maybe it was reared near a local Gannetry and learnt this behaviour from the Gannets.
A drinker in the beer garden of the adjacent pub looked as astounded as I was.!
Never seen a gull behaving like that before.

Guess it depends on what 'considerable' height means! I've often seen BHGs bathe like this with dives from a metre or so above water level. But if it was 10 metres, that'd be distinctly unusual.

It was dive bombing from the same height as the old,two storey pub next to the river.
After dabbling around in the water it flew up to the same height,did a short hover,took aim and dived vertically again[repeated three times].
Very odd!

I've seen Gulls ( Herring, Lesser Black Backed and Black Headed ) dropping pebbles from a large height and then diving to try and catch them. Even diving underwater to get them after missing them on the drop!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back