Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 29th July 2017, 20:47   #26
elkcub

Hi Chosun,

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but this reminds me of what the author of Dune said:
Quote:
... Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class -- whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.

Frank Herbert
Tell me he's wrong, .... please!

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 30th July 2017, 16:43   #27
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
Hi Chosun,

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but this reminds me of what the author of Dune said:
Quote:
"... Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class -- whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy."

Frank Herbert

Tell me he's wrong, .... please!

Ed
Hi Ed

That's an apt quote, from quite the author. Humans run the spectrum from those that will give everything they have, to those that will take everything they want. The outcome of the eternal tussle between light and dark rests on the heart of man. Hopefully we're tipping the balance - one expanded spark of light at a time. Even though the 'dawning of the age of aquarius' seems to be taking its own good time ..... I remain optimistic!

There is genuine will by the Australian people to save the environment and some $13 Billion has been invested/earmarked for the Murray-Darling Basin Plan. People had trusted that it was sorted, but it seems there is quite some way to go ..... Fixing up the environmental water share will be just the start, then somewhat of a quantum leap in awareness will be required to repair the erosion and wetland damage using Natural Sequence Farming techniques etc.

I choose to believe that any governance and systems design shortcomings are more the result of misguided populism and lack of expertise and competence by our politicians (as well as factional power plays and horse trading), rather than any sinister influence of dark overlords. Certain individual and corporate piggies at the trough have definitely succumbed to greedy opportunism in the dark shadows. We need to get rid of the water trading as an acceptable primary business model .... it seems that Billions $ may have already been wasted on such unproductive and environmentally degrading practices.

Thank goodness for credible environmental scientists like Professor Richard Kingsford, but it's not just the environmentalists ringing the alarm bells over the shortcomings of the plan (even if the illegalities and compliance issues were fixed). It seems that even the economists are on board, and when that unholy trinity comes to light it's time to sit up and take notice!

Water being subject to gravity, One of the gross failures of logic that is now being more widely understood, is that gains from irrigation and water use efficiences, result in corresponding losses by reduced return (leakage) back to the environment. This useless loop coming at great financial cost to the taxpayer!

Here is a quote from one of the plethora of who's who water economists that brought quite the smile to my face:
''The government's claim that it is creating 'new' water is spurious in the extreme. When water is purportedly 'lost' in the irrigation district, it does not go to Mars. It is not lost at all, it has just gone somewhere else.''
http://www.stockandland.com.au/story...-plan-savaged/

The deputy Prime Minister has also been caught out shooting himself in the foot ....... (after a few beers! :)
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4...r-report/?cs=7

Hopefully this whole issue will now receive proper scrutiny and the environment / irrigation allocation balance be reset more in line with the sustainable environmental health purpose and intent of the Plan .... and sooner than the currently programmed 5 year on-ground review time frame. That would be highly satisfyingly ironic

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 13:30   #28
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation More crooked than a boomerang, a bigger stink than a pile of rotting European Carp ..

"Nats & the Water Rats"
------------------------------------

That's today's front page headline in mainstream daily newspaper - The Daily Telegraph. Political party donaters benefitting from retroactive decisions, attempted retroactive changes to regulations, inter-governmental department loggerheads, resignations, a Federal Inquiry announced, and still the calls for a Judicial Inquiry by other State Premiers ring loud .....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...08e607f277e9c7

http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...8afc89743a390e

Chosun

Old Wednesday 9th August 2017, 15:12   #29
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Well, it's taken a week, but the mainstream newspaper 'The Daily Telegraph' (left, or our Australian Labour Party leaning - mostly! , it has become much more Conservative/Liberal these days after the last economic disaster of the previous Rudd/Gillard/Rudd Labour Government ) is finally running with this story and now claiming that it broke it as well!
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...b1d1e58a4e1f1f

Plenty to dig up here folks, we will just have to see what sort of enquiry we get .......

Rather than fix the problem, politicians are mooting a half $Billion pipeline to provide water for Broken Hill ! ...... ever get the feeling that 'mining' the taxpayer has become THE new Core Global Mining Business ?? ??

[EDIT]: . Oops! It seems that link runs into a subscriber pay wall - try a Google search "Water, water, everywhere The Daily Telegraph" , that's how I initially accessed the report I saw in Wednesdays newspaper.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Wednesday 9th August 2017 at 22:10. Reason: search for link

Old Monday 11th September 2017, 08:37   #30
mjh73

Some chickens coming home to roost hopefully.... http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...56?pfmredir=sm

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 12:42   #31
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh73 View Post
Some chickens coming home to roost hopefully.... http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...56?pfmredir=sm
Thanks for that update

Several good things to come out of the Matthews report:
* The standing down of Hanlon
* The 'no meter - no pump' recommendation
* The 'publicly transparent licensing conditions and records' recommendation.

I am less keen on a further layer of buearacracy though - surely the whole kit and kaboodle should be administered by the Federal Environment Department, and the Murray Darling Basin Plan should be reset within sustainable environmental limits.

I think the Kingsford report shows that we are way over allocated even if everyone was playing by the rules.

We need a reality check and to realize that 'lost water does not go to Mars' and therefore no 'new water' can be created by increasing irrigation efficiencies (even though that should be pursued).

This is one of the largest and most beautiful river systems in the world - on one of the oldest, driest continents on earth - a paradise.

The good faith of the Australian (and world) population has been betrayed, and I would agree that nothing less than a Royal Commission with broad ranging, open terms along the lines that I have detailed above is satisfactory.

This is the time for a complete holistic reset - not just tinkering at the edges, or thinking that regulatory reform is the endgame ......

Chosun

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: