• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low cost gimbal head (ebay) LF623 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

For many years I've owned and used a Manfrotto Long Lens Monopod Bracket, model 393.
https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/long-lens-monopod-bracket

It's supported several of Canon's big white lenses for me, and the only drawback I've encountered is its bulk, and that when using my EF 500 F/4 L IS, I have the lens-bracket as shown in Manfrotto's publicity, but when using my EF 300 F/2.8L IS the balance is better with the lens-bracket hanging down. The lens plate is quite long, and I've never had a problem adequately balancing the set-up using light-weight camera bodies (Eos 600D), nor when using a 7D MkII or 1D MkIV, with or without lens extenders. On the 393 it's easy to control the bearing tightness. However, what isn't provided on the 393 is fine vertical adjustment to allow more precise positioning of the CoG on the rotation axis.

So, I've now ordered one of the cheaper ebay gimbal offerings and I've wondered if there are points other members would like me to address when it arrives in the next day or two. I shall be carrying out some basic tests before allowing it to support any long lens and body. I'm fully aware from comments on Amazon that some examples of the type have been poorly finished, lacking lubrication, poor bearings etc.

For many years I've owned and used a Manfrotto Long Lens Monopod Bracket, model 393.
https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/long-lens-monopod-bracket

It's supported several of Canon's big white lenses for me, and the only drawback I've encountered is its bulk, and that when using my EF 500 F/4 L IS, I have the lens-bracket as shown in Manfrotto's publicity, but when using my EF 300 F/2.8L IS the balance is better with the lens-bracket hanging down. The lens plate is quite long, and I've never had a problem adequately balancing the set-up using light-weight camera bodies (Eos 600D), nor when using a 7D MkII or 1D MkIV, with or without lens extenders. On the 393 it's easy to control the bearing tightness. However, what isn't provided on the 393 is fine vertical adjustment to allow more precise positioning of the CoG on the rotation axis.

So, I've now ordered one of the cheaper ebay gimbal offerings and I've wondered if there are points other members would like me to address when it arrives in the next day or two. I shall be carrying out some basic tests before allowing it to support any long lens and body. I'm fully aware from comments on Amazon that some examples of the type have been poorly finished, lacking lubrication, poor bearings etc.

I bought one and am very pleased with it. It works well and locks well with all nuts (or whatever term!). For the money I am really pleased with it, does the job and 10% of the cost of the best one. Cannot fault the way it works and is smooth in operation and have no issues with it at all. May not work for someone using all day every day but for me is 100% good. Looks like there are a number all the same with different names.

Phil

hi
i have had mine for about 2 years and use a canon1d mk4 and a sigma 150-600 sport so not a light weight set up
i use it most weekends on a tripod and its very smooth to use the knobs lock up tight and im very pleased with it

My gimbal head arrived yesterday, on time and nicely packaged, but I now have other priorities (funeral today, car purchase, etc.) before I can sensibly spend some time with it.

My gimbal head arrived yesterday, on time and nicely packaged, but I now have other priorities (funeral today, car purchase, etc.) before I can sensibly spend some time with it.

...and now another funeral (4th. this year for me to attend), and then a family visit next week.
My very initial impressions are that the Manfrotto lens plate on my 393 is far easier, and more reliable to use than the smaller Arca Swiss style on the gimbal head. I found it quite fiddly to get it into the grooves before locking it in place. Probably a familiarity issue, but I'll see when I've more time.

Doing some research on gimbal heads generally before writing a critique, I discovered that one of my snaps has been "nicked" by a blogger from the Northampton area, and without any acknowledgement. Perhaps I should feel flattered...

Just my 2p!

If you are using a moderately serious lens then get a moderately serious head! For my 100-400 Mk2 and 300 F2.8 (+ extenders) I normally use the Lensmaster RH1 - it is lighter than my larger gimbal and does a very good job with these lenses. Oh yes it is well built and cheap too + it is made in the UK and Rob (the proprietor) is VERY helpful and knowledgeable.

For the big stuff (600 F4 +) i like the Wimberley 2 - but it is pricey!

Well, time has flown by, yet more funerals and it's now May 2018 and the script below this window is telling me that this is an old thread, so I've ticked the button.

I've now mounted my 1D IV and an EF 300 F/2.8L IS on the gimbal. When balanced, I found that I could raise the lens axis up to ~28deg off vertical, and down to around 30 deg below vertical. A smaller camera would allow a little more, but that seems more than adequate for my usage. Rotation around the vertical axis is fine, and the lock works smoothly.
Where the low cost of this gimbal is evident, is the main horizontal sleeve bearing and I'd like an option for a more expensive MkII version with a proper horizontal bearing. (I've not handled a Wimberley or similar, so have no idea whether the "reference gimbal" is better or "much better" in this respect.)

Worth what I paid? Yes, will it replace my Manfrotto 393? We'll see...

Hi Malcolm,

I used the 393 for years and, for the money, I had no complaint. Built like a tank and easy to use. However, I got hold of a second hand Wimberley II last year and the difference is considerable (as is the price).

Best wishes

My low cost gimbal,same one as in the link seized up after a year.I dismantled it & re-greased it,it now works fine.

Cheers.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back