• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meet Scruffy - the maniacal Blackbird with a condition! (1 Viewer)

Scopey

Scruffy has his territory in our back garden and has been hanging around for about a year now. He has always looked like this. Has a huge pink bare patch on his chest and one on his back. When it is raining he looks some sight!

He is in charge as far as the garden is concerned. He will take on other blackbirds, no matter how many, starlings, Magpies, Ravens, Jackdaws (he hates the jackdaws and mobs them the minute they appear in the garden) but has recently accepted a Song Thrush that comes to the table to ground feed.

He will come within two or three feet of me but no closer. I'm sure he watches me from the trees because the minute I put out mealworms he appears out of nowhere within seconds.

Any ideas what his skin condition is? Perhaps attacked as a baby?

Attachments

• Scruffy.jpg
    Scruffy.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Scruffy 2.jpg
    Scruffy 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 442
  • scruffy 3.jpg
    scruffy 3.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 305
Scruffy has his territory in our back garden and has been hanging around for about a year now. He has always looked like this. Has a huge pink bare patch on his chest and one on his back. When it is raining he looks some sight!

He is in charge as far as the garden is concerned. He will take on other blackbirds, no matter how many, starlings, Magpies, Ravens, Jackdaws (he hates the jackdaws and mobs them the minute they appear in the garden) but has recently accepted a Song Thrush that comes to the table to ground feed.

He will come within two or three feet of me but no closer. I'm sure he watches me from the trees because the minute I put out mealworms he appears out of nowhere within seconds.

Any ideas what his skin condition is? Perhaps attacked as a baby?

Just got to hope for a mild winter, surely he wouldn't survive with all those missing feathers?

A

I’ve got a black bird just like that coming in our garden every day. His head is virtually bald . Don’t know why he looks that way. He dances on our lawn waking the worms to the surface. 😀

Hi Freelikeabird and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

You often see birds in a mess like that at this time of year. I think it could be partly loss of condition due to raising youngsters, and also feather mite picked up from the nest. It usually clears up during their next moult.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back