• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision Coatings... (1 Viewer)

Question:
Let's say I take my 2012 SV 10x50's and send them into for service, and ask them to please change lenses to newest coatings and tune up/cleaning...how much would that cost ?

Question:
Let's say I take my 2012 SV 10x50's and send them into for service, and ask them to please change lenses to newest coatings and tune up/cleaning...how much would that cost ?

You can call Swaro USA and ask them. They'll probably tell you it would be a waste of time and money, since the coatings and glass haven't changed with the conversion to field pro designs.

You can call Swaro USA and ask them. They'll probably tell you it would be a waste of time and money, since the coatings and glass haven't changed with the conversion to field pro designs.

Fair enough, there just seems to be a difference of opinion...some say slow changes, some say none ;)

I have not heard that coatings degenerate with UV. I will ask two professionals.

UV radiation improves thorium glass, and in large doses can reverse discolouration.

P.S.
I think my friends are on holiday and I won't disturb their tranquility.
It will have to wait, unless someone else knows if UV radiation affects coatings.

Hi,

while certainly not an optics pro, it should be enough for a handwaving argument - the fact that the MgF2 commonly used for anti reflection coatings is very transparent down to hard UV in the 100nm range makes any damage to it from near UV-A and -B found in sunlight at earths surface quite improbable.

There are some examples of bad coatings which deteriorated over time - but this probably was due to process problems rather than UV damage.

Dielectric mirrors in high power UV laser applications are known to be susceptible to damage from the UV, but this is a quite different situation.

Joachim

Hi All.
I talked with the boss.
He thought it unlikely that UV radiation would affect AR coatings as they are inorganic normally.
Although he could envisage a situation where atoms are excited and change.
He lost me on the chemistry involved.

This morning I received a very long analysis from the boss of bosses.
Basically he says No.
But any lubricant or paint that smells should never be anywhere near optics.
A binocular in a hot window can cause so much internal damage as to render a binocular useless. It would need cleaning that might cost more than the binocular
Even military binoculars must have no smelly lubricants or paints near them.

Every optics shop window should be vacuumed daily. If not it could be death to optics if the window is Sun facing. England may be better than Texas. :)

He has further sent a very long message to the boss of boss of bosses.
I await the full analysis from THE AR coating MAN himself.

All involved have a lifetime in these matters.

My thoughts were that only the front and rear surfaces could be suspect as most glass absorbs UV, although there are simple lenses that can be used for near UV photography.

What will we do when these oldtimers cannot answer questions?

Last edited:
Spent a good hour today at London camera exchange in Guilford today ....

Took some images through my Canon Powers shot SX200IS and used the Swarovski camera adaptor..
Exposure was 1/1000..F.3.4..ISO 160

See what you think ....The Church tower was my 10x42 SV vs 10x42 FP SV.....The pub was the my 8x32 SV vs 8x32 FP SV....

Tell me which image's seem better and I'll divulge which was which later ..

PS.
Thanks to the Manager at Guilford LCE for allowing free access to the your bino's. ..
Your a legend Martin....

Cheers Tim

Attachments

• IMG_20170802_190208268.jpg
    IMG_20170802_190208268.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 189
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20170802_191637886.jpg
    IMG_20170802_191637886.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 186

Took some images through my Canon Powers shot SX200IS and used the Swarovski camera adaptor..

Cheers Tim

Did you use Auto WB? If so, fixed color temp WB would be more suitable.
But anyway,
+ Color depth is probably to small in these type of camera/sensor to see any subtle differences.

+ limits in jpg/sRgb/computer screens etc. etc....

I don't say it's not possible to photograph any color differences, but it might be a bit more tricky than you might expect.

Last edited:

See what you think ....The Church tower was my 10x42 SV vs 10x42 FP SV.....The pub was the my 8x32 SV vs 8x32 FP SV....

PS.
Thanks to the Manager at Guilford LCE for allowing free access to the your bino's. ..
Your a legend Martin....

Cheers Tim

Hi.
The photos IMG_20170802_191637886.jpg and IMG_20170802_190208268.jpg have a color shift in a yellow-green hue, it is visible to the naked eye.
Maybe the Swar 10x42 SV and Swar 8x32 SV.

The photos IMG_20170802_191610699.jpg and _IMG_000000_000000.jpg have a smaller color shift, but also in a light warm shade.
Maybe the Swar 10x42 FP SV and Swar 8x32 FP SV.

Why is there strong vignetting at the edge of the field?
Did you properly to place the camera adapter to take the photos?
It looks abnormal.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

See what you think ....The Church Tower was my 10x42 SV (Tower-2nd-pic-post#29) vs 10x42 FP SV (Tower-post# 30).....
The Pub was the my 8x32 SV (Pub-1st Pic-post#29) vs 8x32 FP SV (Pub-3rd Pic-post#29)....

Cheers Tim

Contrast and sharpness "slightly" appear better in each of the 2nd scene pics- possibly the FP models (or just my imagination)!!?

Ted

Alexbino. It's actually the opposite ..

Ted...You got 1 right ....Ie the Pub...

1st image (Pub) was 8x32 SV
2nd image ....(Clock) 10x42 FP
3rd image (Pub) 8x32 FP
4th image (Clock) 10x42 SV...

Cheers for your replies

3rd image (Pub) 8x32 FP

Cheers for your replies

How interesting those in the FP models the pictures was made hotter?
Color shift in the direction of Zeiss SF!
That's incredible!

It's unusual Alex I'll say that ....Yes I agree more toward's the Zeiss SF.....

I'll post some more pictures later today of the coatings themselves ....Plus I'll be at Birdfair and do the sone more pics with the same camera ....

3rd image (Pub) 8x32 FP

Cheers for your replies

Well Tim, through your camera's lens and my monitor, surprised I got 50% right (correct response for guessing, huh)! :h?:

Really, both the 8X32 FP and 10X50 FP models that I compared side-by-side gave a "slight hint" of higher contrast, richer colors and overall a darker image compared to my 2012 & 2015 Gen2 SV's. To be honest, even though the ergonomic improvements with the FP Gen3's are good (not great IMO), to my eyes the very close views don't offer enough substantial improvement for me to currently trade-up from my Gen2's. Maybe with a future EL Gen4!?! |8.|

Looking forward to more P&C (pics & comparisons)! :t:

Ted

Pictures of coatings ....

Attachments

• IMG_20170803_192536467.jpg
    IMG_20170803_192536467.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20170803_192404368.jpg
    IMG_20170803_192404368.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20170803_192009877.jpg
    IMG_20170803_192009877.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 112
One more ....

I noticed nobody from Swarovski has replied yet ....Be nice to borrow a couple of pairs of FP's for a few days if your listening....Got a friend at the University of Southampton with an Interferometer so we can get accurate measurements of optical performance ...

Cheers Tim

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back