• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking Vistron replacement (1 Viewer)

Tiptonian

I've been looking for a pair of 10x42 to replace an aging pair of Viking Vistron which need retiring. I've been musing over the Viking MD (£280) or Hawke Frontier OH (£200) amongst others as a small upgrade to the Vistrons, but I've spotted an ad for a pair of second hand Hawke Frontier ED (Mk 1) 10x43 for £189 in a shop presently reasonably local to me. Claims are no marks to any glass, a little wear to parts of the rubber.

I'm not all that keen on going for the second hand market, but are these likely to be significantly better than the others I've mentioned? Is it likely to be worth going and taking a look at them?

What did you get in the end? I believe that the Opticron Discovery are very similar to the Viking Vistron in size, weight and specification. Plus, of course, they still make the Vistron.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back