• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did wrens evict the Chickadees? (1 Viewer)

rdoty

Early this spring I set out two small birdhouses in the hope of attracting some finches and within a week they were both occupied by Black Capped Chickadees. About the same time I put up two new birdhouses. Then I went on vacation for two weeks.
Yesterday, after returning home, I was sitting on the patio and noticed a bird fly into one of the houses. But it wasn't a chickadee. One of the houses has been taken over by wrens, the other I haven't noticed any activity. It seems that the Chickadees have been evicted! Is that normal?
Also, neither of the second set of birdhouses has apparently been occupied although one of the wrens will sit on top of one of them and sing away but never explore the entry.
I'm not complaining because the wrens songs are much more melodic than the chickadees (which apparently aren't in the area any more) but.....

Chickadees are always the first to use my nest boxes and then the Bluebirds annoy the hell out of them until they all fledge so I guess the Chickadees are early nesters.

. . ..One of the houses has been taken over by wrens, the other I haven't noticed any activity. It seems that the Chickadees have been evicted! Is that normal?. . .

Very normal, characteristic in fact. House Wrens are notorious for evicting other cavity nesters from their nests, often bloodily, being as bad as House Sparrows in that respect.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back