• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mina de Sao Domingos (2 Viewers)

jlp184

Yesterday I visited this well-known site but did not see its speciality species. I followed the advice in the new Birdwatchers' Guide to Portugal and walked out from Santana de Cambas along the rough track that would only be passable in a 4WD. While I was at the mine a minibus appeared, drove around a bit then left by a northerly track.
There were plenty of Red-rumped Swallow and some Crag Martin nesting on the ruins, and I also saw several Black-eared Wheatear. I appreciate that it is still early for White-rumped Swift and so will consider a second visit later next week before leaving Portugal. Does anyone have directions as to the route the other vehicle must have taken?

Hello jlp,

I usually follow the flat, somewhat stony track, that is actually a former railway line. The rails have been removed but the track is still there. I do not have a 4WD myself but have always managed to drive along it with a normal passenger car.

Although the text suggests that one starts the visit from the tiny village of Santana de Cambas (lying south of the mine), you might want to try to approach it from the northern end (from the village called Mina de São Domingos), the track mentioned above is probably easier to find and follow if you start from the northern side.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Gonçalo

2 White-rumped swifts were seen during the week in the area so they already arrived, however they are probably still difficult to see so soon in the season, I’ll go to the area this weekend to search for Little swift, if I see the White-rumped Swifts I’ll let you know.
Last year in June there were a minimum of 9 birds nesting at this place:

37°38'57.9"N 7°30'43.3"W

Last edited:
Hello jlp,

I usually follow the flat, somewhat stony track, that is actually a former railway line. The rails have been removed but the track is still there. I do not have a 4WD myself but have always managed to drive along it with a normal passenger car.

Although the text suggests that one starts the visit from the tiny village of Santana de Cambas (lying south of the mine), you might want to try to approach it from the northern end (from the village called Mina de São Domingos), the track mentioned above is probably easier to find and follow if you start from the northern side.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Gonçalo

Thanks for this advice Gonçalo. Do you have a street name in Mina da Sao Domingos where the northern track begins, so that I can enter the start point into my satnav? That looked quite a big village when I went there before Santana de Cambas.

Mission accomplished

Thanks guys - I was at the mine from 10:00 to 12:00 today, seeing a White-rumped Swift briefly at 11:20.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back