• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD with a Nikon D5000 (1 Viewer)

Harpo57

Hi, this is my first post. I'm Jim for Melbourne, FL. I bought a Vortex Razor HD with hopes to digiscope with my Nikon D5000. I also bought the kit to attach my camera. I am using a Nikon 50mm f1.8 and yet to get a picture that is in focus. I switched the lens to Manual, the camera on Manual and put the infinity mark on the lens on the correct setting. I set the camera on a timer as I don't have a remote to elimate shake. I could use some advice on what to try next.

Thanks,

Jim

Vortex Razor HD

Jim, I'm working thru the issues with a Vortex Viper HD

Here's what I've found thus far:

1) Using the Vortex Viper's kit eyepiece I have found success using a DSLR macro lens on my Nikon D3200. The apparent reason is that the macro lens' entrance pupil lies within the front element. It's not fully sharp (yet), but it *is* in focus & acceptably sharp. The first macro lens to work well was a $19 vintage Vivitar 35-80/2.8 macro. I'm going to have to calibrate, however, its focus (infinity? somewhere else?) as well as zoom & closeup elements. Calibrate as in "permanently preset using electrical tape."

2) Zoom eyepieces are *not* ideal for afocal photography. I'm looking into replacing the Vortex ep with a fixed length astro eyepiece with decent eye relief (longer than 17mm) & a wider field of view (FOV). There are Plossl & Delos ep's made by Tele Vue that may suit the need, but it'll require a special eyepiece adapter to mount a different eyepiece on the Vortex Viper's M42-thread rear port.

The upshot is that I'm close to realizing sharp images, but for lack of solid calibration & a fixed-length e.p. true sharpness is still evading me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back