• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW Illustrated Checklist (1 Viewer)

I was under the impression that HBW Alive was going to update their passerines taxonomy on Jan 1st simultaneously with the new checklist. Was I wrong or did they change plans?

Maffong

I was under the impression that HBW Alive was going to update their passerines taxonomy on Jan 1st simultaneously with the new checklist. Was I wrong or did they change plans?

Maffong

I think It might take somewhat longer until they will update the passerine assessments. At the moment they make only minor updates.

The new passerines taxonomy should be going live at Alive reasonably soon. There was also a slight but inevitable timelag between the appearance of vol. 1 and the changes in taxonomy to the non-passeres. It takes some time to set everything up; thankfully, I am not doing that, otherwise it probably would take forever. However, very soon after the updated taxonomy is incorporated, I will upload new or revised species accounts for most of the suboscines. This process itself will probably take a day or two, because for now I wrote all of the accounts in MS Word with the HTML formatting therein. When I upload them, I will need to double-check that I got all of that formatting correct, ascertain that any links still work, etc.

Anybody can guess what will be the first new split species not illustrated in either HBW or HBW illustrated checklist? Med Flycatcher? ;)

Anybody can guess what will be the first new split species not illustrated in either HBW or HBW illustrated checklist? Med Flycatcher? ;)

There are previously undescribed species due to be covered in e.g the new Venezuela guide (Ascanio) so you won't need a split for it to be out of date, it already is!

There are also currently several pictures in Surfbirds World Rarities gallery which may not be in the book e.g a Wagtail-Tyrant, the new 'Plataforma' Antbird and maybe Delta Amacuro Softtail, Thripophaga amacurensis?

A

Last edited:
There are previously undescribed species due to be covered in e.g the new Venezuela guide (Ascanio) so you won't need a split for it to be out of date, it already is!A

Trust me, given that I am probably the only person other than the authors (and there are more than one) of the Venezuela guide to have read that ms in its entirety, and as anyone who knows their onions (or even birds) will realise, NO previously undescribed species are actually formally named in that book. Consequently, NO world bird checklist can actually respond to it in the way that you are erroneously implying. So, in that sense, all of the world (and regional, e.g. SACC) checklists, including HBW, are out of date, to some extent, by force of habit of their NOT fully incorporating unnamed taxa.

There are also currently several pictures in Surfbirds World Rarities gallery which may not be in the book e.g a Wagtail-Tyrant, the new 'Plataforma' Antbird and maybe Delta Amacuro Softtail, Thripophaga amacurensis?A

For starters, the softtail was already included in the HBW Special Volume (and ipso facto HBW Alive). The Stigmatura, discovered by Steve Hilty in the late 1990s and mentioned in his 2003 Venezuela book, IS mentioned in the HBW Checklist (obviously without a name, just as it will be in Ascanio et al.)

The Myrmoderus came a bit too late for any kind of mention in the HBW Checklist, as the antbird texts had already been finalised, but as mentioned above you won't yet find it any other checklist either, so what?

BTW, by your criteria the Venezuela book will also be out of date by the time it is published. But, again, so what?

Last edited:
Don't be so sensitive, my post was simply in response to to this which seems to imply that HBW illustrates EVERY bird!!!!!

'Anybody can guess what will be the first new split species not illustrated in either HBW or HBW illustrated checklist? Med Flycatcher? '

and someone else wrote

'All the world's 10,000+ bird species, together for the first time'

Anyone knows that works of this kind that take so long to produce are almost always out of date before they go to print.

So what!?

I was told that the new Venezula book would include a new Tapaculo, I must have got the wrong end of the stick as it was DA himself who told me?

So what!

My post was a question, no more, as indicated by the use of a question mark and there was absolutelly no 'implication', 'erroneous' or otherwise so wind your neck in, you seem to have taken this as a personal insult for some reason.

Last edited:
Not at all sensitive, I just prefer facts to rumours and heresay. Unfashionable in these times, I know.

David's book does include the tapaculo, but the bird continues unnamed, and therefore doesn't make any checklist, HBW or others, out of date, which was more than just the implication of your post. In that sense, alone, I was correcting your comments, but my neck was and is firmly in its place, thank you for wondering whether it was otherwise.

Not at all sensitive, I just prefer facts to rumours and heresay. Unfashionable in these times, I know.

David's book does include the tapaculo, but the bird continues unnamed, and therefore doesn't make any checklist, HBW or others, out of date, which was more than just the implication of your post. In that sense, alone, I was correcting your comments, but my neck was and is firmly in its place, thank you for wondering whether it was otherwise.

Where are my 'facts' wrong, where is the 'hearsay'? It's not like I repeated something third or fourth hand, my comment was based on what the author of the book in question told me face to face, it was not hearsay or rumour.

As I said, I posted as a question not a statement of fact and you contradict yourself in that the Venezuela book DOES contain a new species whether formally named or not. The fact is that the birds mere existence, name or not, makes any list out of date.

You seem to think I was criticising, I was not.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to know whether they will illustrate all extinct species. The Bermuda Towhee for example was never illustrated so far.

"Appendix: Extinct Species ... Four species (Necropsar rodericanus, Aplonis ulietensis, Foudia delloni and Pipilo naufragus) are not accompanied by respective illustrations, as the material and information available has been judged insufficient to permit artists to attempt a reasonable accurate reconstruction" (HBW & BLI Illustrated Checklist 2, p. 906).

"Appendix: Extinct Species ... Four species (Necropsar rodericanus, Aplonis ulietensis, Foudia delloni and Pipilo naufragus) are not accompanied by respective illustrations, as the material and information available has been judged insufficient to permit artists to attempt a reasonable accurate reconstruction" (HBW & BLI Illustrated Checklist 2, p. 906).

Thanks for the information. Well, there is an illustration of Foudia delloni by Julian P. Hume in his work Lost Land of the Dodo and I've always thought George Forster's illustration of Turdus ulietensis (now Aplonis ulietensis) is accurate enough.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back