• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many species of owl have you seen (2 Viewers)

Barn owl
Little owl
Tawny owl
Long eared owl
Short eared owl

All in the UK

Plus

Northern white faced owl
Scops owl
African scops owl
Ural owl
Eagle owl
Verreaux's eagle owl
Greyish eagle owl
Pearl spotted owlet

From Europe and Africa

A few more goodies in Chile and a quick bash around Buenos Aires; Rufous-legged Owl, Magellanic Horned, Austral Pygmy and Tropical Screech. Now on 134 and should get a bumper batch from Comoros and Madagascar next year!

Eight ,seven here in US, one(snowy) just north of thunder bay,Ont.Canada.

Barn
Great Horned
Barred
Saw-Whet
Screech
Short-Eared
Burrowing
Snowy...alert 12/30/2011 puts it 4 hours away in NW Mo.(Really like to see it here)

here's how many:0
just to make this more clear:0.000
actually i have seen burrowing and great horned, but neither are on my life list, which i started last spring.

Last edited:
ok, now i have burrowing owl. that makes a grand total of 1. i would have short-eared owl, as i heard one calling nearby, but i was unable to find it.

I have seen a Barn Owl, Snowy Owl, Great Horned Owl and a burrowing Owl. Here is a pic of the great horned owl also seen a Barn owl nest with 3 babies and a great horned owl nest with one baby.

Attachments

• Picture 201 (2)-Optimized.jpg
    Picture 201 (2)-Optimized.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 46
Here is another picture of mom and one of the baby. The nest was right above my camp trailer in Montour Id. Great place for bird lovers. Seen Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Osprey, Quail, and tons of other song birds. Montour in the summer is a great place for birders.

Attachments

• Picture 203 (2)-Optimized.jpg
    Picture 203 (2)-Optimized.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 259 (3)-Optimized.jpg
    Picture 259 (3)-Optimized.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 42
An update: still at 0.

16 years of no owls :king:, and no, I haven't even seen any before I started my life list.

Grebefeet, now I'm going to have to check what a Short-eared Owl sounds like to satisfy my curiosity.

UK,
Barn Owl,
Little Owl,
Short Eared Owl,
Long Eared Owl,
Tawny Owl,
Snowy Owl.

Worldwide,
Pearl Spotted Owlet,
Eurasian Scops Owl,
Eurasian Eagle Owl,
Greyish Eagle Owl,
Verraux's Eagle Owl,
White Faced Scops Owl,
Burrowing Owl

UK

Tawny Owl - Brownsea Island
Little Owl - Lea Valley Fishers Green and Stocker's lake
Barn Owl - Various places in East Anglia but most recently at Lea Valley Fishers Green
Short-eared Owl - Rainham Marshes

World

Burrowing Owl - Aruba

Attachments

• P5121307.jpg
    P5121307.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 40
a feeble effort for me, but worth posting as it gives me something to laugh at in future years... :D

UK
Barn Owl
Little Owl
Short-eared Owl

rest of Europe
Tawny Owl (in the middle of Vienna!)

rest of the world
Verreaux's Eagle-Owl (Samburu Nature Reserve, Kenya)

Went looking for a great grey owl that had been spotted not far from Stockholm on a recent trip to Sweden for work, but didn't manage to find it (and sadly my conscience got the better of me so went off to catch up on work!)

A big owl boost from the Comoros and Madagascar gives me 143 species, the 9 additions are:

Karthala Scops Owl
Moheli Scops Owl
Anjouan Scops Owl
Mayotte Scops Owl
Rainforest Scops Owl
Torotoroka Scops Owl
White-browed Owl
Red Owl
Madagascar Long-eared Owl

3 more for my list :-

Palau Owl, Palau ( 2011 )
Austral Pygmy Owl, Chile ( 2012 )
Rufous-legged Owl, Chile ( 2012 )
Depending on taxonomy, that should take me to 100.

Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back