• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sets are nice (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I'm economising on 3,000 here:

21 October, Oare Marshes: Wilson's Phalarope (1w)
21 October, Staines Reservoir: Red-necked Phalarope (juv)
26 October, Pennington: Grey Phalarope (1w)

Inside a week. Happy bunny!

John

Attachments

• 7T8A2194.JPG
    7T8A2194.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 7T8A2281.JPG
    7T8A2281.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 7T8A2599.JPG
    7T8A2599.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 69
Fantastic photo of the Red (Grey) Phalarope, John!

I've seen Red (Grey) twice, but still am yet to see Red-necked or Wilson's. All in due time!

Thank you all!

BM: "Grey" is what we usually see, "Red" is a major event here (I twitched a summer plumage one last year and it felt almost like a new bird!)

John

My best “set” was a small flock containing all 4 North American Zonotrichia sparrows at one of the Reno parks a few winters ago, feeding in a few square-yard patch of lawn below a juniper tree.
1. White-crowned. Locally common and ubiquitous during the winter months.
2, Golden-crowned. Regular in small numbers dto
3. Harris’s. Rare Dto
4. White-throated. Dto

Even allowing for the tendency of Zonotrichia sparrows to associate with their congeners during the off-season, having all 4 North American species in a single flock like this must be very unusual indeed

Last edited:
Thank you all!

BM: "Grey" is what we usually see, "Red" is a major event here (I twitched a summer plumage one last year and it felt almost like a new bird!)

John

I would love to see one in breeding plumage! Both of mine were either immatures/molting, so rather a dirtier version of basic plumage.

Still great birds, though.

I had a full set of corvids in Britain a couple of years ago en route to Ireland, and once in the Emerald Island added Hoodie and 'Irish Jay' on the same day to complete the whole set.
Also, non-birds this year was a full set of Volucella hoverflies in the same wood on the same day which was pretty cool.

I was going to say I'd had the full set of Ospreys on a few occasions.

But then I remembered IOC have split Eastern Osprey (Australia), so I haven't. :-C

Um. I actually have done the five-owl trick - more than once, but the first time was in company: Tawny Owl at Ashford (Middx) Golf Club, followed by 2+ Short-eared Owls at Feltham and 17 Long-eared Owls at a roost whose location I can't even remember: after which I and my companions scuttled over to Moor Green where we knew we could easily nail Little Owl. Having done so, we stood around cursing the fact that we didn't have a local Barn Owl site when Clare exclaimed "there's a Barn Owl at the far end of the pit!" Cue slight panic as the owl disappeared into scrubby birches, but it quickly reappeared. Job done! I know there were three of us but I can't remember if the third was Arch or Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back