• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cattle Egret possibly feeding on a European Pond Terrapin (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Would welcome comments on this behaviour. There are some photos of the activity as well as it went on for longer than shown in the video. To me this looks like the egret is attempting to find food on the body of the terrapin, especially around/under the shell (and maybe succeeding?).

What do you think and is anyone aware of this being documented before?
https://youtu.be/djBbjattwqM

I'd guess just looking for parasites (ticks, leeches, etc.) which Cattle Egrets are well-known for, or just other food that happened to be hitching a lift on the terrapin (water snails and suchlike). Seems to me pretty much the same as a Cattle Egret would treat any large animal (like cattle), except that normally I'd have thought the terrapin would have felt threatened and dropped off straight into the water.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back