• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk400club 'list Of Lists' Etc Etc (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Personal data"

If someone turns up in public to see a rare bird, how can taking note of that be personal data? If they turn up many times to rare birds, how can noting that be personal data? The accrued list might only be "personal data" by way of the commoner species that the individual has not been sighted at! It is possible to work out the (inferred) lists of top twitchers without them contributing to that process. I fail to see how the DPA is relevant here though it has to be said I won't be going through the Act line by line to see if my views accord with it!

cheers, alan.

Gents, I have AGAIN chopped (or I hope I have) the personal insults,by all means discuss the thread topic but please try and do it without the name calling etc... I understand this is a hot topic and has been for a long time, maybe BF is the wrong place to discuss it,I can't make my mind up, there are pro's and con's BUT if it gets into just a mud slinging contest again it will be pulled.

ta

steve

I removed your post because I don't want to see your private correspondence on the forum, argue with Evans by e mail, private message, morse code,royal mail, semaphore flags or feckin carrier pigeon, but do not post it on BF.

I removed your post because I don't want to see your private correspondence on the forum, argue with Evans by e mail, private message, morse code,royal mail, semaphore flags or feckin carrier pigeon, but do not post it on BF.

Thanks for the clarification Steve. It's a shame you didn't moderate it so firmly when personal insults and accusations were being thrown on the WWS thread ;)

Just looked myself up and I'm there. Bit worrying as I've never submitted a my list. Not truly accurate anyway. There's always someone looking at you!

I've just read all this thread and the end of wws one too. All jolly fun stuff indeed. Keep it coming. I'm off to the T20 tomorrow. Goodnight.

"Personal data"

If someone turns up in public to see a rare bird, how can taking note of that be personal data? If they turn up many times to rare birds, how can noting that be personal data? The accrued list might only be "personal data" by way of the commoner species that the individual has not been sighted at! It is possible to work out the (inferred) lists of top twitchers without them contributing to that process. I fail to see how the DPA is relevant here though it has to be said I won't be going through the Act line by line to see if my views accord with it!

cheers, alan.

:clap:

" When considering 'biographical significance', what is important is whether the data go beyond recording the individual's casual connection with a matter or event which has no personal connotations for him. Does the processing of this data affect, or is it likely to affect, the individual? Data may, for example, have personal connotations for an individual if it provides information about an individual's whereabouts or actions at a particular time. "

So, if rarity X was present for just one day, or even a short range of dates, and someone is recording that I saw it, then that data is pinning me to a particular place at a particular time. This is Personal data, and Lee Evans seems to be collecting tonnes of the stuff without consent. Unless of course you sign up to this consent when you join the UK400 club.

" When considering 'biographical significance', what is important is whether the data go beyond recording the individual's casual connection with a matter or event which has no personal connotations for him. Does the processing of this data affect, or is it likely to affect, the individual? Data may, for example, have personal connotations for an individual if it provides information about an individual's whereabouts or actions at a particular time. "

So, if rarity X was present for just one day, or even a short range of dates, and someone is recording that I saw it, then that data is pinning me to a particular place at a particular time. This is Personal data, and Lee Evans seems to be collecting tonnes of the stuff without consent. Unless of course you sign up to this consent when you join the UK400 club.

Peter

Nice work - assume the quote is from the Act or related Guidance? But in what way does this record "affect, or is it likely to affect, the individual" and what, if any, are the "personal connotations"? I suspect LGRE's records would fail these tests within the Act, even if at face value someone's list could be construed as falling under the ambit of the Act.

cheers, alan

"Personal data"

If someone turns up in public to see a rare bird, how can taking note of that be personal data? If they turn up many times to rare birds, how can noting that be personal data? The accrued list might only be "personal data" by way of the commoner species that the individual has not been sighted at! It is possible to work out the (inferred) lists of top twitchers without them contributing to that process.

Ooh, how creepy. Is there someone following me when I go out birding? The mind boggles.

John

Peter

Nice work - assume the quote is from the Act or related Guidance? But in what way does this record "affect, or is it likely to affect, the individual" and what, if any, are the "personal connotations"? I suspect LGRE's records would fail these tests within the Act, even if at face value someone's list could be construed as falling under the ambit of the Act.

cheers, alan

By putting you at a site at a specific time on a public forum means anyone who has "pulled a sickie" to go on a twitch is risk of being found out. My problem also is where does he get the information from? Are friends secretly tipping Lee off on what I've seen and even if they didn't think I got tickable views. Not up to date with what is allowed by Uk400 club I also don't know how accurate my total is.

By putting you at a site at a specific time on a public forum means anyone who has "pulled a sickie" to go on a twitch is risk of being found out. My problem also is where does he get the information from? Are friends secretly tipping Lee off on what I've seen and even if they didn't think I got tickable views. Not up to date with what is allowed by Uk400 club I also don't know how accurate my total is.

no good wearing camoflage jackets anymore then:-O

Many people don't want to pay tax, queue in shops, be a government statistic, get fat, lose their hair, die, have a small penis, look at ugly women etc. But we don't always have the choice and we need to get use to the way things are.

People don't want to be on the UK400 rankings because
a. Didn't see Blue-winged Warbler in Ireland and will now never go there now.
b. Can't afford to twitch Scottish Islands etc
c. Can't go for birds duing the week, as work is inflexible.
d. Can't be bothered to drive outside the County.
e. People can't count the Saturday morning Welsh Catbird.
f. Mr Dick Head has seen more birds than me and I don't want anyone else finding out.
g. Can't do overnight twitching as I might miss an episode of Babestation!

Lee and his supporters want to be shown on a League Table, and by ommitting certain people would make the list invalid.

94% of Top listers do Ireland and so that seems like a good region/reason to include within the list.

If Irish ticks were removed it would be a meaningless list. I doubt if many of the 94 in the Top 100 would invest money in seeing an Irish Mega again by visiting Fair Isle. But the 6 Non-Irish listers might.

If Lee got bored of recording peoples life lists, and decided to give it up. Someone else would resurrect it within a year for sure.

Lee bashing is becoming BORING. People should start helping each other out and start enjoying their life with birds.

Last edited:
Just remove the names of unwilling participants but keep their lists, surly there won't be that many blank names and everyone can move onto another petty and pointless (but entertaining!) argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back