• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin's dinner ID (slightly gruesome!) (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Anyone care to offer an ident for this half-wing?

Found on the saltmarsh at the Long Nanny (Northumberland coast) today 15/12/03, while watching the 5 Shore Larks there (hoping it isn't part of a 6th!!).

Not definitely from a Merlin's dinner of course, but that sounds better than 'bit of tideline corpse to ID' :brains:

Thanks,

Michael

Attachments

• wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 282
Hi Colin,

Thanks, but it is too large for Mipit - wing length (wrist joint to tip) on Mipit is about 8cm, this wing 10½-11cm.

My best guess is Skylark, but can't rule out Shore Lark, or Redwing either, I'm not too good on bird bits like this

Michael

Don't think its a Redwing.. will nail it for you later 105-110 is about redwing/skylark size though. the 2 just shorter than a wing point 3=4 should be distinctive.

My memory of Skylark is something like 2=3=4... but its 24 years since I held one. EEEK just felt very old suddenly!

Last edited:
Ooops - yep, a bit of inner web of the primary not preened in place! The GC is all dark except for the slightly paler front edge.

The narrow pale fringes on the leading edges of the primaries are real, though (if that helps!).

Michael

I was just about to suggest that...its about the right size...though perhaps 1cm short.. fringes look a wee bit thin. I've ruled out Shorelark... the 2nd outermost primary is too short in relation to the wing tip.

Jane Turner said:
I was just about to suggest that...its about the right size...though perhaps 1cm short.. fringes look a wee bit thin. I've ruled out Shorelark... the 2nd outermost primary is too short in relation to the wing tip.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Sorry Jane, opened the Lagavulin 10 days early........

A bit small for Starling I reckon - they're listed as 121-138mm (Svensson), and even allowing for a bit of feathering missing at the bend, I'm pretty certain it wouldn't have been over 110mm fresh

Glad it isn't Shore Lark, though!

Michael

?....-5 ...wp....-1....-5(=2)..-15....-20
?.....e.....e.......e.....e......not emarginated

Wing formula as far as I can make out. What colour is it Michael? Looks too dark for Skylark.

This is where it turns out to be a Dark-throated Thrush ;)

Last edited:
The white background makes it look darker than it is, I'd say OK for Sky Lark - that was my first thought on picking it up, but didn't feel confident with it being at a site with Shore Larks present (and 5 today, 7 a week ago . . . ). There are Sky Larks there as well.

I was hoping something could be made of the positioning of the emargination? - unfortunately, I don't have anything that gives details of that.

Michael

redwing look promising.
2 3-8 yes
3=wp yes
4= 0--2 yes
5= 5-8 yes
6= 15-21 yes

House.. emarginated 2-5... So Redwing looks like a good bet. So much for my first reaction!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back