• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pluvialis for Your Scrutiny (1 Viewer)

Blackstart

Saxophonus pinus
Hi all-

I received this photo from a birding colleague here in Slovenia. He wasn't sure of the ID and given the light and the quality of the photo I am a bit puzzled myself.

So I leave it up to the team of European Birdforum experts to sort things out...

Many thanks,

Adam

Attachments

• Plover.jpg
    Plover.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 301
Hi Adam,
it's certainly an interesting looking bird. Were it not for the bill looking so 'fine' I would have said that it was a Grey Plover (it's got a 'sturdy' pair of legs on it).
The head pattern, general colouration and jizz fits and the wing length isn't particularly long (thus discounting American Golden).
On reflection I think perhaps that it's a Grey Plover and that a trick of the light is making the bill look finer than would be expected. But I'm sure someone will disagree.

Chris

Sounds like you have just been through exactly the same thought process as me Chris. I ended up deciding it was probably Grey Plover (squatarola).

Hi Adam

Well it is certainly an intriguing looking bird! As Brian, CJW and Joern have said, it looks like a Grey Plover, though the small fine bill and gleaming white underside (this may be more to do with the exposure of the image of course) trouble me.

Although Grey Plovers are monotypic they are also clinal, and the further East of the cline the smaller they are (I think I have got this right!). So I would suggest that this bird could be a Grey Plover from the extreme East of its range?

HTH
Regards
Tristan

hi, my first thought was grey plover but as already pointed out it has a fine bill with no obvious knot on the end. also the bird looks to clean on its breast dont winter and juvenile grey plovers have noticible streaks???

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back