• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have no idea... (1 Viewer)

Dave S

Corporate Lacky
This one was at the water's edge at the wetlands in our parking lot at work. I honestly have no idea what it is.

We're in Hillsboro, OR and there's alot of ducks (teals, mallards, wigeons and so forth), blackbirds (brewers and redwing), savannah sparrows, mourning doves, common snipes, scrub jays and various swallows. My only wild ass guess would be this is some kind of juvenile redwing (female).

Can anyone help with this?

Attachments

• Unknown01.jpg
    Unknown01.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 284
Looks like an American Pipit (Anthus rubescens) to me, unstreaked-buffy underside, no strips on back looks like one to me, and . Anyone else agree?

Out of curiosity...how would we Europeans be sure it wasn't a Water pipit if it turned up here...apart from the pale lores its very similar.

Fabulous bird!

Good question Jane. I think most Water Pipits would have a whiter super and would probably be whiter on the belly. This bird seems quite orangey underneath rather than pinkish. Waters would perhaps be a bit darker above - this bird looks really pale.

Having said that I think there might be the odd Water Pip that would look an awful lot like this though. Certainly something that could be easily overlooked.

Jane Turner said:
Out of curiosity...how would we Europeans be sure it wasn't a Water pipit if it turned up here...apart from the pale lores its very similar.

Fabulous bird!

Until recently it was!!!!!!! ;)

Darrell

Huh! Had to check to see that American Pipit is really conspecific with our Buff-bellied Pipit, and it is, fide S & M. We sure don't get anything that pale and unsteaked here.

Charles Harper said:
.. with a moniker like japonica, it should be Japanese Pipit... And I would be so proud!
That would make it like Iceland Gull - named after its wintering area, not its breeding area, confusing for some people. They breed in Siberia and winter in Japan

Michael

Of course one wonders if there are some Siberian breeding ex spinoletta Pipits that do not winter in Japan... but instead choose say Cornwall :)

Wow... thanks. The three books I have show the American Pipit being more brownish than greyish with alot more streaking and not as much of an orange underside. I would have never figured this one out from the pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back