• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous-necked Wood Rail (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Discussion thread for Rufous-necked Wood Rail. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

----------------

The habitat section reads: "Throughout much of its range this species is found in mangroves. On the Pacific slope of northern Central America it is not found in mangroves, only inland in tropical dry forest and coffee plantations (contrary to much of the literature)."

...what is the basis that this claim is made on? Individual experience? Data collection? Word of mouth? Speculation? Literature is most of what we have to go on when it comes to a worldwide bird wiki like this.

Last edited:
Discussion thread for Rufous-necked Wood Rail. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

----------------

The habitat section reads: "Throughout much of its range this species is found in mangroves. On the Pacific slope of northern Central America it is not found in mangroves, only inland in tropical dry forest and coffee plantations (contrary to much of the literature)."

...what is the basis that this claim is made on? Individual experience? Data collection? Word of mouth? Speculation? Literature is most of what we have to go on when it comes to a worldwide bird wiki like this.

I don't know the answer to this question. I have myself entered personal observations into especially Lesser Antillean bird pages, even though I don't think they necessarily contradict published accounts. I would feel sorry if some of those are erased (for example, it would feel strange reading about Bare-eyed Thrush having reached only Martinique when I hear it on a daily basis here in Dominica).

Regarding Id, I think especially Rasmus would be able to provide some unpublished tidbits.

Niels

I'm not saying personal additions is bad - it adds to the Opus greatly - but it should, perhaps, be referenced so other editors don't come upon the text with confusion. E.g.:
# Observations and notes by user '''njlarsen'''. May, 2008.

I'm not saying personal additions is bad - it adds to the Opus greatly - but it should, perhaps, be referenced so other editors don't come upon the text with confusion. E.g.:
# Observations and notes by user '''njlarsen'''. May, 2008.

Sounds like a good idea, and it can be put in the text as a comment to editors with the usual comment formatting "<!-- -->". Or did you want it as an "open" thing, which all users can see all the time?

Niels

Sounds like a good idea, and it can be put in the text as a comment to editors with the usual comment formatting "<!-- -->". Or did you want it as an "open" thing, which all users can see all the time?

Niels

I was thinking more of an open reference for all users - in the reference sections, like others. Making the Opus as accurate as possible is a key aim of ours - IMO the less unreferenced material, the better (and on a bird site, observations are very good references). Perhaps:

# Observations and notes by Opus Editor '''njlarsen'''. May, 2008.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back