• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon ID, Prairie Falcon, Beijing, China?? (1 Viewer)

Littleblue

I photographed this falcon on 10th March, near a reservoir in the north of Beijing, China.

I thought it was a male Saker Falcon but it's very small, maybe just around 35cm (just slightly larger than a Chinese Grey Shrike Lanius sphenocercus nearby, or approximately the same size with a Kestrel ssp interstinctus )

I have never seen such a confusing small 'Saker Falcon'.

Could it be a Prairie Falcon from N. America?

Thanks

Attachments

• 5D3_9990.JPG
    5D3_9990.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 5D3_9992.JPG
    5D3_9992.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 5D3_9998.JPG
    5D3_9998.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 149
Small size and compact shape indicate Merlin. A somewhat similar falcon in the region would be the Amur Falcon (which is more like a Kestrel in proportions). Prairie Falons are much bigger AFAIK.

Last edited:
I've no idea how are sub-species of Merlin in Eastern Asia, but I'm surprised of: length of tail for a Merlin (too long); width of the moustache; dark under-wing coverts.

Is very little individual Saker is not an option? I don't rely on size, even when obvious.

That doesn't look like a merlin to me either. Structure, very well defined and isolated moustache and virtually unmarked flight feathers would be weird to say the least.

Saker looks like a better option.

Having said that, the fact that the bird looked justed marginally larger than a Lanius shrike is even weirder!

Personally, I think its a Saker, look at the dark pattern visible on the underwing coverts and dark barred flank feathers, head pattern etc

FWIW, Chinese Grey Shrike is a very big Lanius and atmospheric conditions within the region regularly create instances of size illusion.

atmospheric conditions within the region regularly create instances of size illusion.

We don't have atmosphere here remember...wanna buy a pig? One careful owner...ready washed in fine and pure Huangpo waters...;D

McM up late to see if we can actually do da biz after Everton lendeded a hand :D

I agree with Mark that this falcon looks like a Saker. The contrasting dark underwing coverts, face pattern and overall colouration suggest Saker to me. It's a good time of year for them at Miyun, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back