• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazing birding software (1 Viewer)

Sandray

This is NOT a commercial message, rest assured that I have no commercial interest in the following product what so ever.

But, I feel the need to share with my fellow birders news of an amazing new birding software package.
It is called Wildlife Recorder, made by a British birder and his company Wildlife Computing.
Details can be found on :

http://www.wildlife.co.uk/birding_software/Default.htm

It is a totally new re-design of his earlier software called Bird Recorder, which I have used since 1999. It is virtually crash-free (never had a single error-message so far, and I've put the software though its paces!). It is now based on Access, which is very stable.

Wildlife Recorder has been on the market since last year, but was this month upgraded (free of charge) to include ALL subspecies matching Clements and Howard & Moore.
Each subspecies has its own range-data linked to maps, so when you for instance go birding in the Canary Islands, when entering your data the listing-base" only lists the species & subspecies you are likely to encounter there. Ditto for places like Wales, Corsica, Florida, Morocco, United Arab Emirates, Queensland, South Island (New Zealand) etc....

And when you add States or islands under any of Wildlife Recorders preloaded Countries/Islands, you can easily define the species & subspecies found there.
Like Gomera under Canary Islands or Fair Isle under Scotland or West Java under Java.

The setup is divided in Clements taxonomy (UK English AND US English ommon names), Howard & Moore taxonomy (UK names), and you can make our own taxonomy based on either one of those, with the possibility to accept/deny a species/subspecies if your preference differs from those generally accepted.

In Options you can choose not to include subspecies at all, if that is your wish.

I imported my 1.742 Sites (with GPS coordinates) from my master Excel sheet which took 35 seconds. Sightings can then be displayed in D-MAP

http://www.dmap.co.uk/

I am now importing from my Excel master-list 46.000 sightings dating back to 1976, and so far everything goes smoothly. Import from the discontinued Bird Recorder is easy, and I do believe he has import-software for other birdlisting programs as well.

On top of this, Wildlife Recorder also has data-entry by speech-recognition built in, via the supplied Windows speech-engine.

I have bought and tried Birders Diary, Avisys & Birdbase, and up to today they do not come close to Wildlife Recorder.

Greetings from sunny Dubai,
Tommy Pedersen

Sandray said:
This is NOT a commercial message, rest assured that I have no commercial interest in the following product what so ever.

But, I feel the need to share with my fellow birders news of an amazing new birding software package.
It is called Wildlife Recorder, made by a British birder and his company Wildlife Computing.

It is a totally new re-design of his earlier software called Bird Recorder, which I have used since 1999. It is virtually crash-free (never had a single error-message so far, and I've put the software though its paces!). It is now based on Access, which is very stable.

Wildlife Recorder has been on the market since last year, but was this month upgraded (free of charge) to include ALL subspecies matching Clements and Howard & Moore.
Each subspecies has its own range-data linked to maps, so when you for instance go birding in the Canary Islands, when entering your data the listing-base" only lists the species & subspecies you are likely to encounter there. Ditto for places like Wales, Corsica, Florida, Morocco, United Arab Emirates, Queensland, South Island (New Zealand) etc....

And when you add States or islands under any of Wildlife Recorders preloaded Countries/Islands, you can easily define the species & subspecies found there.
Like Gomera under Canary Islands or Fair Isle under Scotland or West Java under Java.

The setup is divided in Clements taxonomy (UK English AND US English ommon names), Howard & Moore taxonomy (UK names), and you can make our own taxonomy based on either one of those, with the possibility to accept/deny a species/subspecies if your preference differs from those generally accepted.

In Options you can choose not to include subspecies at all, if that is your wish.

I imported my 1.742 Sites (with GPS coordinates) from my master Excel sheet which took 35 seconds. Sightings can then be displayed in D-MAP

http://www.dmap.co.uk/

I am now importing from my Excel master-list 46.000 sightings dating back to 1976, and so far everything goes smoothly. Import from the discontinued Bird Recorder is easy, and I do believe he has import-software for other birdlisting programs as well.

On top of this, Wildlife Recorder also has data-entry by speech-recognition built in, via the supplied Windows speech-engine.

I have bought and tried Birders Diary, Avisys & Birdbase, and up to today they do not come close to Wildlife Recorder.

Greetings from sunny Dubai,
Tommy Pedersen
Sandray could not agree with you more,excellent peice of kit.

POP

Hi, Sandray! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Thanks for sharing the info on Wildlife Recorder. :t:

Sandray said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It might be great but works only with windows ;-(((

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back