• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

But structure is hard to assess from one picture sometimes. I don't really see this bird as looking particularly robust or short-tailed for a falcon either. And I think I'm looking objectively, as far as such a thing is ever possible.

Well if you guarantee it Tim, what can i say?
Seriously, i can see there are branches in front of the shoulders that cause a lightness, but there's an underlying red tone on my PC at least, that i don't think is caused by the branches, and the pattern and visible tone on the head looks very kestrel-ish to me. As for the notion that structure, or in this case apparent structure from one shot of a partially obscured bird, cannot possibly be playing tricks on us - i agree with Andrew.
James

Last edited:
The truth lies in detail

James Lowther said:
If that's true Tom, then Dick Forsman's guide to raptor ID is off my christmas list.
Albatross02, you have 9 votes for kestrel vs. 1 for peregrine, why don't you make up your own mind.

Sometimes not the number of identification votes matters but the quality they are made with! Nevertheless here are more than 9 birders on the island with the same opinion as mine - Peregrine!
Please check every detail described (I think there was hardly any from the Kestrel-fraction!), Dieter!
And the ones who voted for Kestrel: Please ask your local or national rarities committee to identify the bird! If you do not belive me I am sure this will open your eyes ;o)!
As I have noticed more skilled identifiers seem to join the discussion now!
Nothing more to say...

Tom :king:

Amsel said:
As I have noticed more skilled identifiers seem to join the discussion now!
Nothing more to say...

Wonder if I'm included in that? Probably not. Oh well, glad you and your mates are here to put us right Tom.

*Whitehouse hangs head in shame*

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Wonder if I'm included in that? Probably not. Oh well, glad you and your mates are here to put us right Tom.

*Whitehouse hangs head in shame*

cheer up fifey!!!

I trust you 99.9% of the time - this is the other 0.1% ;)

put some Shonen Knife on and jumparound. I got the Boredoms Vision...today - thx

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
cheer up fifey!!!

I trust you 99.9% of the time - this is the other 0.1% ;)

put some Shonen Knife on and jumparound. I got the Boredoms Vision...today - thx

Tim

Don't worry Tim - it's all tongue in cheek. I'm sure Tom's posts are too (surely?).

Haven't got any Shonen Knife to hand. Riding on the Rocket's my favourite.

Hey folks

just off to the pub for a few

bumping this up to see what others make of it...

Jane?, H? Greg? You there?

or anyone else for that matter...

go on... you know you want to..

Tim

What a weird photo! Here is an enlargement. I suppose it could be a Peregrine behind a reddish tree branch. But where did that huge branch come from out of those little twigs? Could it be a cluster of dead leaves?

Yikes!

Attachments

• DSC01298.jpg
    DSC01298.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
A prestigious discussion, or more like a debate.
I must say, from this photo it is impossible to be sure, and blowing it up doesn´t help. It´s a falcon alrigt, and Kestrel do comes to mind, but a "large falcon" could certainly be a possibility. If KMO, as mentioned here, had a better view of the image, and from there has another falcon in mind than Kestrel, then I´ll trust his judgement.
JanJ

Looking at the original picture head looks like peregrine to me. A kestrel does not show a strong moustachial stripe and white cheek at this distance. Problem is branches obscure, to be sure, but body looks bulky aswell.

Last edited:
Don't give a hoots what Klaus Malling Olsen says (whoever he is), but I reckon that's an unidentified brown blob with a Peregrine behind it. As for age, don't see any reason for this being a first year bird (presuming the brown blob is a brown blob and not part of the bird!). So I'd venture for adult Peregrine.

Isn't there any way to rescan the picture with a higher resolution/get an uncompressed image file?

(Just to take a stand, from the crappy pic, to me, it looks more like a kestrel than a peregrine.)

Kestrel for me. Unless more is known about it than being let on! In the original post "I suppose Sparrowhawk"...a few posts later 1st Winter Peregrine. That's a wide range of views from a less than adequate photo. It is a falcon...no one disputes that.

I'm in the Kestrel camp until someone can convince me it is a Peregrine...let alone a 1st winter! Funny how it's managed to land behind the only large withering leaf left on the tree??? ;)

Regards,

who says looking through the wrong end of your binoculars doesn't pay dividends ... 100% Kestrel

ahh, bigger pic..still Kestrel

Last edited:
I looked at the blow up and thought peregrine in kestrels clothing but I drive past several kestrels every morning and on reflection I'm happy with body mass and tail length for kestrel. I fear there will be no final agreement due to the quality of the photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back