• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Palmcreeper? (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

I don't know if anyone remembers my thread about a woodcreeper, but I think I have identified the bird as the Point-tailed Palmcreeper(Berlepschia rikeri). Does anyone know where I could get a picture of one besides the one on Google?

You presumeably know about the following one:

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/point-tailedpalmcreeper.html

I have another one, PM your email, and I will send it (finally, there is yet another in "Handbook of the Birds of the World" vol. 8)...

There is just about nothing you can mistake this beautifull species for, at least not in that habitat (ALWAYS, no exception, near Mauritia palm). At least it is tape-responsive!

Many want to see this species... few actually does...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have actually not seen it on a Mauritia palm, it is usually on either a Royal palm or a coconut tree. But I am sure it was that, because it is the only woodcreeper-like bird with black on front.

Jacamar said:
I have actually not seen it on a Mauritia palm, it is usually on either a Royal palm or a coconut tree. But I am sure it was that, because it is the only woodcreeper-like bird with black on front.

Black front? Hopefully you mean black-and-white...
As I mentioned, it is ALWAYS found NEAR Mauritia palms... not necessarily (but usually) on them...

Well, it feeds on insects and similar. So why did it "choose" to specialize on living near those palms? Presumeably because very few others did. There was an open space, so to speak. I only know of one other species that is tied that hardly to Mauritia palms; Sulphury Flycatcher.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back