• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas Backyard (1 Viewer)

glendak2

Still have 4 or 5 ruby-throated hummers.

Normal daily (including today):
Blue Jay
Starling
Great-tailed Grackle
Common Grackle
Mourning Dove
Inca Dove
Titmouse
Downy Woodpecker
Crows
Carolina Wren
Northern Cardinal
House Sparrows
Mockingbird
Carolina Chickadee
Chimney Swifts

What part of Arlington are you? I am up in Euless and have found about 40 species in my back yard which backs up to a wooded area. The reason I ask is that I have not logged a Chimny Swift yet and I would like to see your Inca's. I have logged one in my yard (I think early this year) but it has been awhile. I also get visited by the Cedar Wax Wings every spring. I nutured one back to health and ever since they keep coming back (only 2nd year since nuture). Anyway take care.

Pat

Reply from Glendak

Pat,

I live in the Woodland West area of Arlington, with quite a few trees, but no water. I get mostly "suburban" birds. You beat me with your 40; so far I have only recorded 35 species in my backyard:
Blue Jay
Robin
Carolina Chickadee
House Sparrow
Cardinal
Mourning Dove
Inca Dove
White-winged Dove (only twice so far)
Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Winter Wren (1 only)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet (1 only)
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Dark-eyed Junco
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Cedar Waxwing
Starlings
Great-tailed Grackle
Common Grackle
Yellow Warbler
Pine Warbler
Swainson's Warbler
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
American Goldfinch
Mockingbird
Chimney Swift*
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1 only)
Downy Woodpecker
Ruby-throated Hummer
American Crow
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Mississippi Kite*
*Never landed - just ID'd in the skies above my house

I would be interested in how your list differs from mine. What have you had that I have not? The Chimney Swifts fly above our house throughout the day and early evening. In fact, they made a nest in my daughter's chimney just a block down the street. The Mississippi Kite was often seen from our deck.

The Incas have been coming in the last two years. Before that the only place I had ever seen them was in south Texas, but they have been moving steadily north in the last few years. I saw the White-winged Doves on the roof of our backyard shed a couple of times recently.

I have seen cormorants, herons, and egrets flying over heading for the lake or somewhere else nearby, but never really hanging around like the Kite or the Swifts.

Have you birded the Village Creek Drying Beds in North Arlington? We saw swifts there last Saturday. It's a great place to pick up shorebirds, hawks, swallows, and occasional warblers.

You should try it sometime if you are not already a regular visitor there.

I will try to login from home tonight where I have my bird list or I will bring it to work with me tomorrow and compare lists. From memory I have in addition to yours

1. Great Blue Heron (came by once to visit the pond)
2. Killdeer (serveral last year before the city put water fountains in pond none since that time)
3. Scissor tail Fly Cather (Several sightings last year only one this year, but serveral sightings at New Euless PD)
4. Brown Thrush
5. Wood Thrash - I might have the Thrussh and Thrash mixed up.

What I haven't seen from memory on your list is:

1. Golden Crowned Kinglet
2. White winged Dove
3. Brown Creeper ( I will need to check logs)

Thats it from memory, I will get back to you.

No I have not been to the Dry Beds could you give major cross road and then direction. I do visit the Park (name escapes me now but log will tell) in North Arlington off of Green Oaks and Industrial. I have found a Double Breasted Cormorant there along with a Wilson's Wabler.

Some time I will tell you a story about the Yellow Rumped Wabler.

Pat

g,

Ok here is some more. I found in my back yard different from your list.

1. Snowy Egret
2. Golden-fronted Woodpecker (listed under unconfirmed since it was not until after the fact that I looked in the book and found this bird has the yellow around the nose area which I did ID, but I did not look hard enough to confirm the red belly. Also this bird is not real normal for these parts so it is not part of the 40)
3. Yellow Wabler
4. Wood Thrush
5. Turkey Vulture (easy to id)
6. Shinny Cowbird
7. Rock Dove
8. Red Tailed Hawk
9. Eastern Screech Owl

As for that park in Arlington I mentioned earlier it is River Legacy Park Arlington TX.

Pat

Village Creek Drying Beds

Pat,

The Village Creek Drying Beds are right next door to River Legacy Park, so maybe you have been there and just considered them part of the park.
If you haven't, just drive west of the entrance to River Legacy. The next road you'll find on your right will be the entrance to VCDB. The gate may be pulled to, but 95% of the time it is not locked. Just push open the iron gate and drive on in. You'll find other birders there more than likely.
There are two sets of roads, the one which rings the entire grounds and is elevated. Then there is a set which criss-cross the beds on the lower level. Most everyone car birds here, although occasionally you'll see someone walking around.
If you want to use your scope, just stop anywhere. People will understand. Check out the Audubon website at fwas.org. You'll find postings there telling which birds people have been seeing at VCDB that week.

Thanks for sharing your list and the differences. It seems you must have some water around and some more open territory to attract the egrets, hawks, flycatchers, and owls. Enjoy your birding and let me know if you add anything to your backyard list.

Thanks for the information Glenda, I will take a ride down there maybe this weekend or sometime after work. Do they have special open hours and such?

As for water yes I am quite lucky. My back yard backs up to a wooded (non-cultivated) green belt that has one active creek. Right on my northeast lot line begins a park (Whileshire Park). The city has been cultivating it to make it more human friendly (much to my fustration - but it is now a nice little park for the family) and since they installed fountains in the pond, all of the normal water foul has left. I think some my return this fall and spring as they stop for migration rests but it will be hard to get them since they will not stay long due to the openess around the pond.

See ya and take care.

Pat

Arlington Drying Beds

Glenda,

I cannot thank you enough for the recommendation to goto the drying beds. I was there Sat and today Sunday and wow. I go some birds not on my list and still many others that I have not confirmed my id of. I did confirm the following however.

Pied billed Grepe
Black Bellied Whistling Duck
Blue Winged Teal
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Little Blue Heron
Pectoral Sandpiper
White Faced Ibis
Silt Sandpiper

And as special mention there was a ton of Red Winged Blackbirds. I have seen them before but they are still one of my favorats.

Thanks
Again for the recommendation.

Pat

VCDB Arlington

Pat,

I'm so glad you were able to go. Every time I go it seems like the good Lord has a different theme for the day. I guess Red-wings were the theme this weekend.

Won't be long before the ducks start coming in large groups. Almost every species of surface feeding ducks will be there, along with some surprises.

Enjoy! I think it's great how many you were able to identify. Sounds like you're even good with the little sandpipers!

Glenda,

I would not say good at any thing. It took me hours and 5 books to decide what was what... Most experience birders can do it in about 5 mins... But it was great I look forward to the winter birding down there.

See ya, In case your ever down there when I am, I drive a white mini van..
Pat

VCDB this Weekend

Pat,

It was a delightful morning at VCDB this morning. My husband and I arrived just before sunrise to the sights and sounds of this peaceful, beautiful area. Today's theme was Wood Ducks, with almost 2 dozen sighted at many ponds throughout the grounds. All in all we counted 37 species. The full moon and the sunrise were wonderful. If you have the time, you may see a small slide show I put together from the photos we took this morning. Just click on this URL

http://www.PhotoParade.com/pickup.asp?2059-6045-60344

and it takes only a minute or so to download. If you don't already have PhotoParade, that is a quick, free download as well.

You know what's funny? We have a white minivan as well, so if there are ever two white minivans at the grounds together, it may be you and me.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back