• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400D Which zoom lens? (1 Viewer)

andy101

Andyjjuk
Hi Everyone,
I have just bought a Canon 400D with the lens kit today and would like to buy a 2nd lens. I don't have a lot of money left and want to buy a decent zoom with it.Can any one give me some suggestions. Ideally I would like a 300-400mm lens but I think 300mm would be nearer my budget.
I am looking at 2 lens the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro DG and the Tamron AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2. Would either of these fit the 400D and which one would be best.
I have heard about teleconverters and understand that they increase the range of an existing lens is this correct? Would the two 300mm lens fit teleconverters and if so which one.

Any help is much appreciated
Regards.....Andy

Hello,

First off ... What do you want the lens for?, It's easier to help if you
mention your need's, ... 400mm Is the general Birding lens anyway,
Let us know and good Luck,
John,

Hi Andy.How much are you willing to spend?If you are going down the teleconverter route get the kenko pro 1.4x.I used to swear by the cheaper 1.5x but there is definitly better image quality with the pro version.On a 300mm lens the 1.4x converter will increase its focal length to 420mm.I own a canon ef 75-300mm lens which is great but to be honest I am using a sigma 135-400mm zoom for most of my shots and am delighted with it.You will probably be able to pick one up s/h for less than £200.Combined with the 1.4x converter I get a focal length of 560mm (about 11x magnification)

Hi Andy.How much are you willing to spend?If you are going down the teleconverter route get the kenko pro 1.4x.I used to swear by the cheaper 1.5x but there is definitly better image quality with the pro version.On a 300mm lens the 1.4x converter will increase its focal length to 420mm.I own a canon ef 75-300mm lens which is great but to be honest I am using a sigma 135-400mm zoom for most of my shots and am delighted with it.You will probably be able to pick one up s/h for less than £200.Combined with the 1.4x converter I get a focal length of 560mm (about 11x magnification)

Hello Mike,
I have the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM and i'm guessing it's the same as
your's ... Are you saying the Kenko 1.4 Tc Pro work's fine with this lens?,
Very much appreciate your advice as your picture's are alway's stunning,
Thank's and apologie's for hijacking this thread quickly,
Take care,
John,

Thanks John.Yes it works fine.I dont even have to tape the pins (dont ask me why not though).It may be something to do with being the older 300d.The cheaper 1.5x also worked well with it.The gull below was taken on my 300d ef 75-300 and the cheaper kenko 1.5x.

Attachments

• 38123gull_copy.jpg
    38123gull_copy.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 147
Hi Mike I am looking to spend around £200. As I asked in my original post I am wondering which lens is best between the Tamron and the Sigma. I can't wait to see if there is a 400mm about as I need a decent zoom for my holiday in a weeks time.
Regards...AJ

Hi Mike I am looking to spend around £200. As I asked in my original post I am wondering which lens is best between the Tamron and the Sigma. I can't wait to see if there is a 400mm about as I need a decent zoom for my holiday in a weeks time.
Regards...AJ
To be honest Andy you'd be hard pushed to get a lens for Birding for £200,
The best way i see it is go for the Canon EF75-300 III USM for around £150
and just like Mike ... Get a 1.4 Tc which will give you that extra reach ...
That would be just over your budget so you'll have to have less Beer's while
your away, ;) ,
Take care and Good luck,
John,

To be honest Andy you'd be hard pushed to get a lens for Birding for £200,
The best way i see it is go for the Canon EF75-300 III USM for around £150
and just like Mike ... Get a 1.4 Tc which will give you that extra reach ...
That would be just over your budget so you'll have to have less Beer's while
your away, ;) ,
Take care and Good luck,
John,

Thanks John,
I just bought a new Canon EF75-300 III USM for £125. 00 plus p+p on Ebay. Should arrive in the next couple of days just intime for my hols. Saving about £15 I will be able to have a couple more beers than I thought I would .:clap: B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back