• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 500mm F4 (1 Viewer)

peteh

Has anyone bought one recently? Im just about to but have noticed the prices has gone up by 200-400 quid and noone has stock anywhere.

Anyone know whats going on.

I was looking to buy one of these lenses too, and was told by the dealer that most of them go to the US market & that I would have to wait about ten- twelve weeks. :-C

10-12 weeks!!! holy cr4p well ill see if kerso can get back to me , if not i will import one myself. Save myself 1000pound even after customs and duty

Usa

seamons said:
Best to import it yourself IMO. Mifsuds have a used one at the moment.

That's what i did, bought a 1Ds as well had a weeks holiday saw a few nice birds and still saved! You also just got to go to B&H New York, I didn't buy the gear from here but it really has to be seen to be believed!! Massive, massive shop with overhead conveyors running around with everyone's orders. There certainly won't be short of stock in there!!

Ta Chris

I got one from Tecno about 6 weeks ago i was not to happy with the performance of this model so returned it after a few days.Tecno informed me they would get a replacement in approx 28 days,the replacement arrived in about 16-18 days.The first one that was sent back i now dont think had a fault i think it was my testing method.I paid £3869 this was the best price i could find,since then they have gone up £200.Try www.camerapricebuster.co.uk that will give you the best UK price.Tecno were very good to deal with (part of Jessops but with out the high prices).If you decide to go the US route then B&H are the best company to deal with about £3600 with taxes.

What about Warehouse express they are advertising that they will pricematch competitors prices .Just looked on their website and it looks as if they have the 500 in stock.B&H price for the US version (warrenty anyware in the world) $5669 inc shipping plus import duty 6.7% plus vat 17.5% =£3618 plus the banks will charge about 2.7% to change to us dollars (about £62) so approx £3700.

Last edited:
peteh said:
Cheers for the advice.

Finally got hold of kerso. He is doing it for 3600 plus postage.

Has anyone tried the ebay seller 'DigitalRev'? They are doing this lens for £3498.99 delivered. Looks like a good deal.

Hi Nathan,

there are a quite a few complimentary posts on here about DigitalRev - assuming you go for one of their "we'll pay the import duty if Customs catch your lens" deals, I guess it really comes down to whether you're happy to deal with a company in Hong Kong if there are problems.

I'm not ignoring your PM, incidentally - I'll try and get back to you this weekend, but as you might imagine, you've asked a big question..!

;)

Last edited:
Hi Peteh

For what it's worth got mine from B&H about a year ago - first class service. And saved £1000+ on UK price - RIP OFF BRITAIN again.

So good, thinking of getting a 100-400 from them - only £200 potential saving - but who's got £200 to throw away?

Kevin

I bought one 4 weeks ago from Warehouse Express and since then I have noticed that the price has dropped by £400! This makes me so bloody annoyed.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back