• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elements 5.0 file size (1 Viewer)

edge1255

Hi Folks,
I hope someone can help me with this problem. I've had Elements 5.0 for a few months and have been happily using the quickedit for my shots. I recently bought a book called "The Missing Manual" by Barbara Brundage, which I can really recommend. After reading about layers, and their advantages, I started to try editing some shots with really good results. However, sometimes when I create a few layers and try to save the shot the original returns to the catalogue but the new edited shot appears as an icon saying "file too big". Is there a setting somewhere that sets the maximum file size? I've been through all the various preference settings and can't find anything. If I download jpegs from my DC4 they are about 2MB in size, and I don't have any problems using layers and saving them. If I download from my Sony N2, which is a 10.1 MP camera, with an obviously larger jpeg, I get the above problem. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Jon

Jon,if you do not receive any help re this prob,why don't you pop across to World Photography Forum,register and ask this question there.There are some highly skilled photographers on that site,who seem to work wonders with editing queries.Sorry I cannot help,I use 4.0 and have not as yet got to grips with layers.Hopefully though someone on this site may be able to advise.
Adobe does have a helpline I think,where you could perhaps place a query.
I hope you manage to find an answer.

edge1255 said:
Hi Folks,
I hope someone can help me with this problem. I've had Elements 5.0 for a few months and have been happily using the quickedit for my shots. I recently bought a book called "The Missing Manual" by Barbara Brundage, which I can really recommend. After reading about layers, and their advantages, I started to try editing some shots with really good results. However, sometimes when I create a few layers and try to save the shot the original returns to the catalogue but the new edited shot appears as an icon saying "file too big". Is there a setting somewhere that sets the maximum file size? I've been through all the various preference settings and can't find anything. If I download jpegs from my DC4 they are about 2MB in size, and I don't have any problems using layers and saving them. If I download from my Sony N2, which is a 10.1 MP camera, with an obviously larger jpeg, I get the above problem. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Jon
Hi Jon,

Try saving your image as a tif or a psd file before you do anything. Jpegs don't support layers so, although you can add layers to your jpeg, you can't save it as a layered file - saving it will flatten any layers. When you've done all your work, then do a 'save as' as a jpeg. Keep the tif as a layered file in case you want to change anything at a later date.

Jonathan

saluki said:
Hi Jon,

Try saving your image as a tif or a psd file before you do anything. Jpegs don't support layers so, although you can add layers to your jpeg, you can't save it as a layered file - saving it will flatten any layers. When you've done all your work, then do a 'save as' as a jpeg. Keep the tif as a layered file in case you want to change anything at a later date.

Jonathan
Jonathan,
I agree with everything you said, but this doesn't answer why he is getting this "file too big" error message.

I don't have Elements, but to me it sounds like it will not create a thumbnail icon for its catalogue if your image exceeds a certain size. Indeed, layered images can get really large. The real question is whether the file is being saved to your hard drive even when you get this error. I would check using some other program (e.g. WIndows Explorer) to be sure your file is getting saved correctly.

If the files are being saved correctly (and they probably are), then you can just live with the problem. You definitely should not be discouraged from using layers, Jon, as they are a fine technique. However, obviously if the files are not being saved correcty, I'd report it to Adobe and switch to something like Paint Shop Pro.

Thanks folks,
I might pop across to the photo forum and see if anyone there can help. In Elements the only file size setting I can find is the "save for web", which lets you set max file sizes for webpages, emails etc. I've not found the Adobe site much help in the past, but if all else fails I'll try that.
"I'm going in, and I may be some time!!!" describes my last foray into Adobe's site!

Cheers,

Jon

elements file size

jon sounds like the images are not being saved to the hard drive.best guess is that you may be saving your images to your floppy drive.use 'save as' and save as a psd. elements 5 can happily handle dozens of layers and as an aside here is an invitation to come down to Carluke camera club where apart from the competitions and lectures we run tutorials on monday nights for problems just like this.unfortunately we will close for the summer in may.get back to me if this does not solve the problem and if I cant give you the answer i'll put you in touch with some one who can

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back