• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

polyporus ciliatus? (1 Viewer)

Rudegar

If I had to think of a name for this I would call it a "fringed polypore", so do you think it may be polyporus ciliatus? It was under newly planted larch trees, on what used to be a scrub willow site.
Thanks. Colin

Attachments

• Fungi-5-3.jpg
    Fungi-5-3.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Fungi-4-6.jpg
    Fungi-4-6.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 38
Hi Colin,

Polyporus cilliatus occurs on wood and is has very dense, tough flesh - This, I assume, was on soil (and is far more interesting). The 'fringe' on the underside of the cap margin in this genus is left over from a membranous veil which covers the pores when the cap is unexpanded.

It's Suillus viscidus, which is a fussy mycorrhizal species (it only associates itself with Larch trees).

It could well be worth recording this one as it seems that it's only been reported from VC44 once previously (assuming you found it near Llaneli) and with Pine, so one could argue that it's a dubious record.

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks Nick, that's great.
I can now put that on our club blogsite and pretend I know something about fungi!
Much appreciated.
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back