• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anting? Dusting? (1 Viewer)

JohnFla

Hello,

This bird comes to my backyard from time to time. I have a couple of bird feeders inside of this garden gated area (to keep the roaming cats out!). This bird comes in to this dirt area within the gated area, looks to be digging a hole with its beak and feet. Then it rubs its body back and forth before opening up its wings like you see. This is in Tampa Florida. I never see it try and eat the sunflower seeds though. It just flies in to do this and then flies away. Also, can anyone tell what kind of bird it is?

Thanks!
John

Attachments

• DSC_3203.jpg
    DSC_3203.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 64
Hi John

It looks a bit like a Brown Thrasher. But hopefully someone else will be able to confirm that for you.

As to why they do this, I'm still unsure. Just two species do it where I am, Juvenile Blackbirds (never noticed an adult doing it) and House Sparrows but, they only do it on the roof of a shed in the summer when the sun is shining. So in these instances it certainly isn't either dusting or anting.

I wish we could get to the bottom of it.

That's amazing. I've never heard of anting. I always assumed that birds thrashing around in the dust were taking a dust bath. Amazing that they use ant bites to sooth irritated skin.

Just two species do it where I am, Juvenile Blackbirds (never noticed an adult doing it) and House Sparrows but, they only do it on the roof of a shed in the summer when the sun is shining. So in these instances it certainly isn't either dusting or anting.

I wish we could get to the bottom of it.

I may be wrong but I think in this case the birds will be using the sunshine to expel parasites from usually shaded areas of the plumage

Ditto to Brown Thrasher.

Not convinced it is anting though, it may just be sunbathing, that's classic sunbathing posture.

You can really only call it anting, if you actually see the bird picking up ants and placing them on its plumage - there are good records of this, so it does happen, but isn't anything like so common as sunbathing.

Looks like anting to me. Do you have ants in that area of your yard?

Are you able to examine the image closer? You may see ants in the image. I Watched a male Blackbird anting yesterday outside of a store in a spot where ants were coming up through the ground. I could see the ants on the bird.

There are some ants in that area because sunflower seeds drop from the feeders in that area. Is there anything significant that it seems to dig a little hole with its beak and feet before take on that posture? Also, this same bird goes to the exact same spot. (I have zero expertise) but it sees like a lot of work to just spread its wings for sun, no?

It's the normal posture for sunning, to expose as much of the feathers and the skin underneath to direct sunlight.

Trouble is, it's the same posture for sunbathing and anting, so unless you actually see ants being used, you can't distinguish between the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back