• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with fungi please (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
I'm afraid I know nothing about fungi but was quite taken by the sight of this colony in mid November in Lincs. It was growing on the long-dead stump of a willow tree. It's probably not uncommon but I'd be grateful if I could put a name to it. All help gratefully received.
Thanks,
David

Attachments

• _DLB6165.jpg
    _DLB6165.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 51
Hi David,

I'm sure this is Sulphur Tuft, Hypholoma fasciculare, one of our most common species (This collection is quite mature and is starting to lose its sulphur yellow which can still be made out in the stems). With a bit of zooming around I can just about make out some dark gills too.....

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks, Nick, I didn't know where to start looking and Googling brings up images that certainly appear the same. It was quite a big "colony" and I could see different ages and stages - thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back