• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mission Impossible.......? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Shot this female Stonechat at Minsmere on Tuesday, didn't realise till later that it was sporting a ring! It doesn't look like a BTO ring to me, if someone can confirm that? Are there any clues in the digits that might point to a possible place of origin?

I realise that it's extremely unlikely, however an ''experienced'' eye, might just, be able to help.

Cheers

Attachments

• Female Stonechat No.2.May'14.jpg
    Female Stonechat No.2.May'14.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Female Stonechat May'14.jpg
    Female Stonechat May'14.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 118
I think address of scheme above ring number (not below) increases likelihood of British ring. Also looks like start of sequence is showing in picture 2 (noting relative position of address horizontally). If first character is D, this would be good pointer for a recent BTO prefix for A size rings. Assuming it starts D28 that would narrow down to however many of the birds ringed from that set of 10000 which were Stonechats, and that were handled by a ringer who puts them the easy way up for reading in the hand (upside down in the field). A-size rings can be read from photos but only from multiple shots.

Some camera's can do multiple shots that use exposure settings that bracket the subjects measured settings. You obviously didn't have the distance/mirror setting switched on?;)

I tried turning my phone round to see the back, but it didn't work. :)

Did you look at the back of the screen when you got it onto the computer?;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back