• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer Meet 2011 (2 Viewers)

Think Rob posted in the wrong thread...lol

What about Hatfield or Thorn Moors for raptors, herpes etc.
Would Spurn be any good in early July?

Think Rob posted in the wrong thread...lol

What about Hatfield or Thorn Moors for raptors, herpes etc.
Would Spurn be any good in early July?

I've been beaten to it, but Spurn can be ace for sum plum waders in July. You'd need to go for high tide though for decent views.

I might be in this time - depending on the date - as I'm taking a class to Northumberland in June and will migrate north to Scotland sometime in August.

The tides for Spurn seem to show the weekends of 9/10 and 23/24 July as roughly mid day high tides. The other weekends are before dawn and early evening high tides.
Sunday 10th high tide at 14.40
Sunday 24th high tide at 13.10

So if best on a rising tide the earlier date, or a falling tide the later date.
Which is best?

There will be returning birds by then Jim - infact the first failed non-breeders should be back in a month. Green Sands first followed by everything else... Almost autumn

Last edited:
There will be returning birds by then Jim - infact the first failed non-breeders should be back in a month. Green Sands first followed by everything else... Almost autumn

I usually try & catch up with a high tide at 9am or earlier, as it can become very busy later in the day & can only imagine what the place is like at weekends - things will also be different now that entry to Spurn is now free to members of the YWT!

PS the caterpillar problem is worse than ever at some parts of the peninsula this year, but will maybe have got a little better by July?

2009 Bird Report

The 2009 Yorkshire Bird Reports have just been published & if anyone would like me to bring one along to the July meet, please let me know. The report costs £10, with an extra £2 if you want it posting out.

There are some fantastic pics included. And even the dear departed ebirder is well represented with his Black Grouse, Black-necked Grebe, Whiskered Tern, Hen Harrier all featured. There are also many line drawings for birds which haven't been photographed.

It will also be available at the usual retail birding outlets very soon, but I checked at North cave yesterday, and they don't stock it yet.

Details will soon be on the website- http://www.ynu.org.uk/ - if you order in bulk for the July or seawatching meet and collect them from me you'll save on postage. Unless you are all organised already.

If you haven't sorted yourself out with a copy please consider buying one, because if there aren't enough purchasers then there is a chance that this special report may no longer be produced, which would be a travesty for what is one of the finest counties for birding in the UK

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back