• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what to feed Robins/snow on ground (1 Viewer)

bakka

Hi:

We live in Northern Minnesota-ground still frozen-snow on ground.

The Robins are back and with no worms this time of year what can we feed them till the ground thaws?

Need suggestions quick-they are hungry!!!

Thanks much.

bakka said:
Hi:

We live in Northern Minnesota-ground still frozen-snow on ground.

The Robins are back and with no worms this time of year what can we feed them till the ground thaws?

Need suggestions quick-they are hungry!!!

Thanks much.

Just an idea, but our local walmart stores have night crawlers in the fishing dept. that may help. If you have hollies with berries that will suit them just fine. Here in NJ. the robins arrived in huge groups about 3 weeks ago with snow still on the ground and they quickly cleaned all my holly bush red berries off in short order. They will eat all the berries they can find until they're able to get the worms. They will also dig under leaf piles which acts as a mulch to keep the ground warmer. ;)

well robins also eat berries! heres some info on them: "American Robin Adult: Feeds on wild and cultivated fruits, berries, earthworms, and insects such as beetle grubs, caterpillars, and grasshoppers; appears to “listen” to the ground by cocking its head when stalking earthworms." so you can try the nightcrawlers you can also try mealworms from the local pet store and put them in a dish. try raisins and craisons (dried cranberries) and im sure they will be attracted to them.

You can try thowing cranberries out on the snow. Very visible and they loved it when I lived in snow country.

You can get grubs and meal worms from your local pet store. I find that a platform feeder low to the ground works better than placing them directly on the snow.

John

Robins have no problem finding feed in the winter. I live in NW Ontario (just north of MN) and we have some robins that wintered over this year. They seem fat and healthy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back