• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

sooseee said:
Roy, I made it down to Isley Marsh just as the sun was setting and three spoonbills were just coming in to land by three more, so at least six are still about.
Sue
That good news Sue.

Andrew said:
RBA reported that two female Scaups were on Wistlandpound Reservoir yesterday so I went up for a look.

No sign unfortunately. About eight or nine Tufted Ducks and a single drake Mandarin Duck. 150+ Redwings flew over too.

The reservoir is used by an activity centre for boating stuff so they may have been flushed off this morning.

Hopefully it will not be too long before the next ones.
Went to Wistlandpound Yesterday (Thursday) update to Andrews post:
Very quite with only Gulls,1 Cormorant, few Mallard and some Buzzards overhead, No sign of Scaups, Tufted Ducks or Mandarin.

It's all happening in Rare Bird Information. A Murrelet, probably a Long-billed has turned up at Dawlish Warren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get there now!!!!

The Firecrest said:
It's all happening in Rare Bird Information. A Murrelet, probably a Long-billed has turned up at Dawlish Warren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get there now!!!!
looks like we're in for an influx of birders from up country this weekend at the warren!

The Firecrest said:
It was only seen on tuesday apparently, so.........

Last seen drifting towards Dawlish (away from the Warren). I shall be giving Dawlish itself more than a cursory glance after I leave work tomorrow. I've already looked for it around the Teign Estuary!!!

Good birding

Ken.

kmonty1950 said:
Last seen drifting towards Dawlish (away from the Warren). I shall be giving Dawlish itself more than a cursory glance after I leave work tomorrow. I've already looked for it around the Teign Estuary!!!

Good birding

Ken.
i think it's long gone. if it did go towards berry head i'm sure someone might have picked it up. gonna hve to get down early tomorrow cos it's going to be packed.

Birdguides are reporting Spotted Sandpiper and Long-billed Dowitcher at Tamar Lakes. They must have been there all along, but no one bothered to look, presumbly all the Devon listers already have them?

Had a look around Slapton Ley this morning. Not too much around apart from a Scaup towards Ireland Bay and a Common Scoter surprisingly in Stokeley Bay.
On the Kingsbridge Estuary in the afternoon saw another Common Scoter and the flock of 400+ Golden Plover. 61 Brent geese included 1 pale-bellied bird. Could not see any youngsters so looks like a poor breeding year for them.
Well done Andrew, Dave, Ken et al on seeing the Murrelet, never mind what i imagine must be constant phone ringing and texting tonight ! What an amazing record. Never regret taking the photos Dave, without them one of the all time great rarity records would have been lost. I think it was Andy Warhol said something like everybody is famous for 15 minutes, tonight thats you!!

So Spotted Sand, Long-Billed Dowitcher and Long-Billed Murrelet before 10.05 in the morning isn't too bad as it goes I suppose. For some reason I thought that the best plan of attack for Saturday morning would be to drive 70 miles to the other side of Devon for first light as I had convinced myself that the Murrelet was long gone. The first part of the plan worked superbly as the Spotted Sand was found immediately at first light zooming along the opposite bank to me. The Dowitcher then took a further hour to find but then showed superbly at the north end. Even better was that both birds were on the Devon side for the total duration. Then a phonecall from Kev at 8.48 saying he had the Murrelet..that was the good news..the bad news was that I was still at the far end of Upper Tamar Lake and badly out of position. It took me 10 minutes to run the entire length of the lake back to the car. And screached out of the car park at 9.00am...The 70 miles back from Kilkhampton to Dawlish was how can I put it...well, i'll just say no prisoners were taken.(it took in comparision 1 hour 20 to drive up in the dark with no traffic)! I arrived at Dawlish at 10.05 with constant updates from Brian on route and the rest is history....I went back again this afternoon because Dad had been even more out of position than me and had been in Kent !..so helped him out in saving him a car park space, keeping tabs on the bird etc. Absolute chaos there this afternoon with at least 500 + birders there from all over the country..most of them crammed 6 deep at the end of the breakwater.. .just thought its nice they all have to come to us for a change...
So a brilliant day, just want to say a big thanks to Dave Hopkins for originally finding the bird, Stoney for taking his pics and especially to Kev for perservering with it and relocating it today and for the phone call.

You have to bend down and look closely at the mud, Andy.

There are some grains of sand in it with spots on them.

Elusive little things! ;)

Andrew said:
You have to bend down and look closely at the mud, Andy.

There are some grains of sand in it with spots on them.

Elusive little things! ;)

You're still a bit frisky after the murrelet aren't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back