• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips, advice or help for a newbie please (1 Viewer)

OH WOW! THAT is Amazing! You are truly talented! I can hardly wait to see more drawings from you!

Elina

Hi Philip - as Nick says cartridge paper is a perfect substrate for pencil, but I would advise you don't work on anything lighter than 140 lb weight. This also allows the application of watercolour if required. Pencil on watercolour paper can produce some very attractive effects - just look at the drawings of John Busby (probably the best drawer of birds there's ever been - IMHO).
Essentially you'll find your own way - that's all part of the fun, really.

Hello,

It's been a few weeks since I last posted (or even completed) a bird drawing. I've tried a few field drawings but nothing worth showing yet, I even ate one:eek!:
I am thinking about going into colour so if anyone could recommend me some good quality coloured pencils, I will be very grateful.

Anyway I hope there is improvement from the first picture I drew but any tips or ideas will be received well.
I not sure what I think about it myself...

( sweet jeebus I babble, I think it's nerves of posting a new picture 8-P )

tufted titmouse 056 (Small).jpg

Jeeks, Phillip!!!! TuftedTit in't a bird I kno, other than photos, but this one is absolutely zinging with vitality. What a superb piece of pencilwork. It's no exaggeration to say there's more than a hint of the Harris-Ching in this. Stunning mate, absolutely stunning.

Wow what a talent!!!

Dont know why I "clicked" on this thread originally, however ive dipped into something fantastic. Going to keep "dipping" into this thread just to see more of your drawings. No pressure there then (ha ha).

Im not so sure about the addition of colour, your talent alone comes through loud and clear in the simplicity of pencil detail and shading alone.

Well Done
Caroline

Thanks very much for the encouragement, it is very helpful. I'm still unsure about the shading under the wing being a little too dark but it's finished now anyway and new one started today. |=)|

That's the problem when you look at your own pictures, something very trivial to other people becomes a major stumbling block to the artist's eyes. The 'it's finished now' is a very good attitude to have, I'm forever taking 'finished' paintings out of the pile and changing things that I don't like about them - drives me mad and has resulted in the destruction of several decent pictures!

Thanks very much for the encouragement, it is very helpful. I'm still unsure about the shading under the wing being a little too dark but it's finished now anyway and new one started today. |=)|

Amazinginly beautiful artwork..I haven't visited the forum for a while but you draw what I love....detail and so well!

Have you tried transferring your artwork digitally? - I agree the paper doesn't do them justice, so it might be nice to get them digitised. You'd need a good scanner and at least 300-600dpi to pick up the detail well. That way you keep them on record and you can control the quality a little. Ideally Photoshop but there's alot out there if that is too expensive.

Other than that though you are in good company on here and amongst many talented individuals! Well done ;)

Icklesal (still trying to finish her Lapwing!!!)

Thanks for the encouragement.
I've still not been able to get out to try more field sketches, so have been thinking about drawing our dog. Though to be honest I think I'm scaring her as she keeps catching me staring, as I try to work out the lines and shades.

Anyway thanks for the tip about the scanner Icklesal. I have a friend picking up a new one next week so might pop round to experiment.

All the best

Philip

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back