• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quirky and cute Wildlife (1 Viewer)

I love the facial expressions - from comical to cute, they're great.

D

There is 105 species we have as extinct you will have to start working your way through them :)

Well, I'm ceoncentrating on New Zealand birds, and I don't think we have that many extinct ones (I hope!). One I need to draw is an Adzebill - they were the only ones in the world. But I prefer to draw extinct birds from museum specimens (or photographs of such) because drawing from other people's illustrations leaves too much scope for error. And I haven't managed to find even a skeleton image yet. They were extinct pre-European in NZ time. So I've started with the extinctions of the last two centuries. Which also means I should draw the New Zealand crow.

And thanks once more for all the kind comments. When I look at the other artist's work here I feel like a rank amateur - because I cannot even come close to capturing the realism that everyone else seems to manage with such skill. Everything I draw turns out cute.

Even ugly things:

birds-maraboustork.jpg

This guy was drawn two years ago now and the original measured 2,5 x 3,5 inches - an artist trading card.

But then I think - I have a distinctive and quite different style, and that's important too.

But then I think - I have a distinctive and quite different style, and that's important too.

yes very true, and if you really want to do realism, it is a skill like all the others and can be learned, you would have to begin to rely on masses, and light and shade instead of lines...Realism is about light and edges, and making the piece conform in ways to how the eye naturally sees, with focal points and lost and found edges, and esp how the light falls in a painting.

It is a shift of mindset from where you delightfully are, you already have the drawing skills.

I'm not suggesting you change, I like your style the way it is...but you can see these are already slightly more realistic, and if you went further and began to make more value changes from front to back and on the edges, you would have more realism so this illustrates my point below.

the hardest thing to do in art is to accept that what we do is fine, there is always somebody who does other things that we'd like to do. I love this last little lot, cute and quirky is great, it enhances the character of the subject.

I don't know if it's something to do with the light way down there on the other side of the world, but I've always found that the colours from any antipodean artist are saturated and glorious.

Nice work Lemur.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back