• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Determining the Age of a 10X42 L IS by Serial Number (1 Viewer)

What is missing are 2 weights that should be supplied free so that one can improve biceps etc.

I have never been able to decide whether the variable prisms become more opaque with time, say ten years, and if transmission is reduced.

It could equally be that my eyes transmit less over the last 15 years.

What is missing are 2 weights that should be supplied free so that one can improve biceps etc.

I have never been able to decide whether the variable prisms become more opaque with time, say ten years, and if transmission is reduced.

It could equally be that my eyes transmit less over the last 15 years.

Canon recommends at least an hour of binocular hoisting daily for well toned biceps. ;)

The transmission question is an open issue. My almost 10 year old 10x42 is showing signs of age, the objective cover glass fogs up when going outside on colder days (-10 C or lower) and they also seem a little hazy in some light conditions. Kimmo noted that his newer unit had improved transmission, but that may reflect newer coatings rather than aging variable prism material. Does anyone know what they are made of?

my 10x42 arrived today, the serial number starts with 42 XXXXXX, based on the decoding logic mentioned on this thread, it means

1. Manufactured in May 2008
or
2. Manufactured in June 2016

Hopefully June 2016 or July 2024 and sent back in time.

The last 3 digits of the serial number is in low hundreds, I think it means its probably a new version, since while not impossible it will be difficult to expect something manufactured 8 years ago is still sticking around in the stock.

If my assumption is true, that is Canon made new Bino's 2016 they may be wrapping up their stock of IS and getting ready for a new version launch next year or discontinuing this model all together. I strongly think its the former.

I might have one of the oldest pairs. If I remember right, I bought them fairly quickly after they were released, but that was a long time ago and I can't remember clearly. I know it was after 2004.

I have an 8 digit serial number starting in 0410.

I'm going to try to find some record of buying them, but anyone have any idea on how to convert an 8 digit serial number? It does not follow the coding of my lenses.

ps... they still work excellent, I'm surprised more people don't use them. I think the weight (10x42 version), must be the main issue.

I might have one of the oldest pairs. If I remember right, I bought them fairly quickly after they were released, but that was a long time ago and I can't remember clearly. I know it was after 2004.

I have an 8 digit serial number starting in 0410.

I'm going to try to find some record of buying them, but anyone have any idea on how to convert an 8 digit serial number? It does not follow the coding of my lenses.

ps... they still work excellent, I'm surprised more people don't use them. I think the weight (10x42 version), must be the main issue.

ETV,

Unfortunately, your "receipt of purchase" may be the only way to accurately determine their age. In my dealings with Canon USA (and there were several), they have a pat answer of, "the SN means nothing to us...only Canon OEM Japan knows, and they don't share that data with us"! I even had one "know-it-all" tech that told me "all of the 10X42L IS's still being sold today were produced in 2005", and That is when it was made!??? I wanted to tell him what he was Full Of, but decided to be polite and just moved on. The link Kimmo has referenced in post #4 appears to be related only to the Canon SLR lens data base, not to their binocular line up. Maybe he can verify it's complete application!

Anyway, fantastic to hear you are on 12 years of in-the-field use and going strong!!! :t: B :)

Ted

ETV,
The link Kimmo has referenced in post #4 appears to be related only to the Canon SLR lens data base, not to their binocular line up. Maybe he can verify it's complete application!

Ted

The dating scheme shown in the chart does correspond with what I know about the history of my unit. I am inclined to believe that the chart does indeed applies to the Canon binoculars in addition to the Canon lenses. (See my post number 5.)

How does the chart data correspond to your more recent purchase?

The dating scheme shown in the chart does correspond with what I know about the history of my unit. I am inclined to believe that the chart does indeed applies to the Canon binoculars in addition to the Canon lenses. (See my post number 5.)

How does the chart data correspond to your more recent purchase?

Bruce,

My 10X42L (4490) was purchased new, by me in Nov 2016. According to the chart and these 1st 4 numbers, the possible mnf. date would be Aug 2016...Very Plausible. Using this logic, even though this SLR data chart shows only one 04 (April 2013), ETV's 0410 could be interpolated to be 8 years sooner, or April 2005, just 4 months after Cannon claims the first mnf date for the 10X42L IS in January, 2005. Certainly seems in line with his memory of purchase and here again, may validate this data date code chart!!

Thanks for bringing these details back up, Bruce. I'm curious if this applies to all of their IS binocular line up? I actually brought this data existence up to Canon USA tech reps before with my new instrument questions. Again there was denial of it's validity...maybe felt consumers shouldn't be in possession of this, or Embarrassed it wasn't shared knowledge through their employer!??

So ETV, this Date Data Chart appears to give you the info you seek...thanks to Kimmo for providing it and to Bruce, I stand corrected! :gn:

Ted

Ted ..... Thanks for checking the serial number on your unit. It looks like the chart is still working.

Following up on Ted's comment and working back from the first column of the chart listing 2008, earlier dates would be:

2007 - Jan 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Dec
2006 - Jan 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Dec
2005 - Jan 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 Dec
2004 - Jan ................................................ 01 Dec

Here is an updated summary of reported 10X42 numbers. Let's see what can be learned from the patterns over time.

04 1 0xxxx - Mar 2005 - Enjoy the View (Original purchase after 2004)
21 08200147 - Aug 2006 - Etudiant (Original purchase late 20007)
72 x xxxxx - Nov 2010 - Kimmo
82 6 00xxx - Sep 2011 - Stan
87 7 002xx - Feb 2012 - Dennis
17 7 00xxx - May 2014 - Binastro
21 7 000xx - Sep 2014 - BruceH (Original purdhase around Jan, 2015)
44 9 0xxxx - Aug 2016 - Theo98 (Original purchase Nov, 2016)

What is strange is the unit owned by Etudaint with a 10 digit serial number breaks the pattern of 8 digits, including the unit of ETV, which appears to be older.

Other Models:

Ted, check post number 9 by Binasto, where he posts serial numbers from a couple of other models.

I have a 15X50 purchased probably in the late 90s (?) and the serial number is 55001xxC.

10x30 IS Mk II 37100xxx January 2016 probably.

10x30 IS Mk I 2200xxxC August 1998 ?? possibly...1998 instruction book. unfilled warranty card.

Check! However, the 10X30 MK I could have been Oct 2006?? Depends when he purchased it used.

My new "Aug 2016" (according to the 4490 SN date code) included a -2005- instruction book (owners manual). Since that still references the only release of the 10X42L IS (Mk I), Cannon USA stated the OM hasn't changed!?

I have a 15X50 purchased probably in the late 90s (?) and the serial number is 55001xxC.

Bruce, going back "16" years from the earliest date code on the chart (June 2009), your 15X50 could be a 1993 mnf date. Was your purchase a new or used 15X50 IS?

Ted

Bruce, going back "16" years from the earliest date code on the chart (June 2009), your 15X50 could be a 1993 mnf date. Was your purchase a new or used 15X50 IS?

Ted

Ted,

1) You mention the earliest date code on the chart is June, 2009. The chart I am looking at looks to have the earliest date code (38) as January, 2008. What are we doing different?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx

2) The 15X50 was purchased new by my Father as best I can remember sometime in the 1990s. I have not found any paperwork on it. He was a true 7X person so it surprised me when he bought it. I used to catch grief all the time for using an 8X!

Does anyone know when Canon introduced the 15X50? Is there more than one generation?

My used 10x30 Mk1 could be 2006. I probably bought it around 2010 plus? I don't know the 10x30 introduction date.
It is in poor condition as it has moisture inside, although it works.

I thought the 15x50 might have been introduced around 2000, and 15x45 earlier, but I really don't know. It could be 1998?
I don't think more than one 15x50 general type, but maybe many variations in the IS and computer controls.

3 samples of the 8x25 IS followed the code provided. First type IS and second type. Unless there were more iterations.

Ted,

1) You mention the earliest date code on the chart is June, 2009. The chart I am looking at looks to have the earliest date code (38) as January, 2008. What are we doing different?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx

2) The 15X50 was purchased new by my Father as best I can remember sometime in the 1990s. I have not found any paperwork on it. He was a true 7X person so it surprised me when he bought it. I used to catch grief all the time for using an 8X!

Does anyone know when Canon introduced the 15X50? Is there more than one generation?

Bruce,

Yes, we are looking at the same chart! That earliest date code showing (June 09') on the chart was for your 15X50 IS SN 55001xxC. As per your father's purchase in the 90's, then a mnf date of June 1993 (16 years before) "could possibly" be about right.

However, Canon stated this morning that the 1st marketed offering for the 15X50's was in March, 2000!? Not sure when the 15X45 IS version was discontinued, but if there was an original "15X50 Mk I" production that replaced it, then they may have done some revisions since without announcing a formal Mk II update (about March 2000)?? |:S|

Could your 15X50 IS possibly be a June 2001 production date??!

Ted

Last edited:
Ted .... Thanks for the explanation of the June date. I got it now.

I was thinking he got the 15X50 around the end of the 90's, so it could have been in 2001.

I think 2000 more likely for the first 15x50, then shortly followed by 18x50 (or at the same time).
Just updates over the years to increase battery life etc. Not sure about better IS.

I bought my first Canon IS, the 12x36 Mk 1, perhaps 1999??

Ted .... Thanks for the explanation of the June date. I got it now.

I was thinking he got the 15X50 around the end of the 90's, so it could have been in 2001.

You're welcome, Bruce! :t:

I just downloaded an instruction Manual from Canon Europe! The last page states a copyrighted publication date of, "CANON 2002"! If the 15X50 IS did come out on the market in March 2000 (Canon USA own words), this instruction booklet appears to be the latest printed release!?

Ted

Extended the Canon date chart data to include 1999-2007 and 2018-2020 information. Have attached a small .jpg for IS binocular owner reviews and possible references of mnf dates.

As been stated before, this data is Not verified by Canon and its' accuracy is just an assumption of owner presented information. This is a hypothesis of "possible date of manufacture" codes, thus use at your own risk and convenience! ;) :t:

Ted

Attachments

• Canon Date Code Chart-1.jpg
    Canon Date Code Chart-1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Hi Ted,
Thanks.
That would make my 18x50 Sept 2002.
So a bit younger than I thought but credible.
No. 731002xx.

It has scratches on the rubber from being used perhaps thousands of times, but it has been almost faultless.
Usually a weak battery was the cause of sluggishness etc.
The optics are still excellent although I should clean the eyepieces more often.
I did not change the focus or IPD for maybe ten years.
It is used for astronomy or aircraft, where the resolution hand held is almost unmatched.

It also makes the year 2000 credible for the introduction of the 15x50.
Maybe the 18x50 was introduced 2000 or 2001?

I don't know where my paperwork is.

The 12x36 Mk.1 predates the 15x50 and 18x50 I think.
Maybe the 15x45 first, 12x36 Mk 1 Second.
But when was the 10x30 Mk 1 introduced?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back