• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book info - Sketching Wild Birds? (1 Viewer)

desgreene

Has anyone used this book to kick-start their bird sketching skills?

Sketching Wild Birds a Practical Guide by Trevor Smith.

Any comments on how good it is or any alternative suggestions most welcome.

Thanks,
Des.

Hi Des - I haven't seen this book and I'm unfamiliar with the author (that doesn't mean it's no good, mind), but I can offer the suggestion of 'Drawing Birds' - by John Busby, RSPB publication, which, if you don't already possess, then it really is a must. Anything by Ralph Thompson is worth a look at as, of course, is anything by C.F.Tunnicliffe and Eric Ennion - neither of whom did a 'how to' book, but just looking at their work is most instructive (Ed has posted a fine link to Ennion on his thread). I have a feeling Peter Partington did one several years ago and I rate his work so that may be worth sourcing. Anything else comes to mind I'll jot it down.
There are more than a few excellent 'drawers from life' on this forum too - one could do a lot worse than a quick scan of these for inspiration.

Hi Tim,
thanks for the suggestions and links. I'll check those out.

As you say, plenty of inspiration on here! But I do want to get a better grip of some of the basics so wanted to get hold of a good book on the subject.

Cheers again B :)

Des.

Well done Gill! To get this book for less than a tenner is very good going! (I might buy another copy, just for the bargain ;) )

Anything from John Busby has to be up there at the top, not only an excellent artist, but a seriously nice guy and a very elegant writer. I wrote to him a few years back and got a very inspiring reply, the first edition of drawing birds was essential in my early years of sketching (I got a copy when I was 12), and the second edition is almost a completely different book.
The Peter Partington book deals more with howto paintbirds in watercolour (that was the title I believe) I had a copy until I lent it to someone, grr. A very useful book aswell.

Thanks all. I've ordered a copy of John Busby's book on the strength of all the recommendations.....

.....unfortunately before I'd seen Gill's post!:-C

Oh well it's only money!

I received my copy of John Busby's book yesterday. Thanks again for all the recommendations, it's full of inspiring stuff by all sorts of names and very readable into the bargain.

Who knows I may post a few sketches for comment when I get around to it!

Cheers,
Des.

Looks like I found a thread to pull out from the "archives". I'm itching to get myself a book on painting/drawing animals/birds, a real good one that would be inspirational and give technical tips as well. I've been playing with the idea of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Paint...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210860463&sr=1-1

Actually, having read the reviews on this book, I wouldn't hesitate, BUT I don't see myself doing oil painting, and that's what the book consentrates on. At the moment I'm more of a watercolor and color pencil person. There is some on watercolor in the book, but not much. I'd like to give acrylic a try, though. How do tips given on oil painting apply to painting with acrylic?

Though looking at the content, looks like there's loads of inspiration to be gotten out of this one, as well as how to compose a piece etc. Not to mention the great artwork. And I really like the style of Edward Aldrich.

Another interesting option I found is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Paint...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210860463&sr=1-2

Looks promising - quite a few mediums covered, + the problem solving. But then, this seems to lack the "inspirational" aspect. Humm...

Ideas? Any experience of the two above or another great one that would be good?

Yes, I do have John Busby's Drawing birds already, bought it right after having decided to get serious about drawing birds. :) Wonderful, wonderful book.

I have the Aldrich book and I can thoroughly recommend it. It is, as you've noticed, full of inspirational paintings, not just those of Aldrich himself. Over half the book is dedicated to drawing, the remainder to painting technique and most of that is oils. However it's a great book to have whether you want to paint in oils or acrylic or watercolour just for the pictures alone. The Trudy Friend one I have seen but never bought simply because I don't particularly like her style and therefore would get no inspiration from it. The techniques she goes through are very basic and may give an absolute beginner a starting point.

Hope this helps.

In the end you'll develop your own techniques and distinctive style anyway and that will be the best technique for you. Ian woosnam, the golfer, apparently has a very unconventional swing but he was winning competitions in spite of this. He once spent a long while with his coaches trying to make his swing fit the style that is generally accepted as being the best. During that time his competition performance began to wane and it wasn't until he returned to doing things his way that his returned to form.

Mike

Thanks, this has definitely helped! Sounds like the book is all I was hoping for it to be. I was already on my way to the book store to order the Aldrich one, then decided to make sure and ask first. I guess I'll have to bike to the center tomorrow morning to order it, can hardly wait to get it. And thanks Paul for the additional option. I'm gonna put that on my list, I've got a huge list of books I might want to get some day. The Aldrich one was the winner on that list this time. Who knows what's next.

Has anyone used this book to kick-start their bird sketching skills?

Sketching Wild Birds a Practical Guide by Trevor Smith.

Any comments on how good it is or any alternative suggestions most welcome.

Thanks,
Des.
Hi Guys,
I'm new since yesterday so please correct me if I'm out of line,
but Is it ok to mention here that I'm a full time bird book salesman?If anyone needs my service.

Hi,artists

I've been just wondering why there is no category for painting works.
Just now I found I was not the only person for the idea of art forum as going through similar threads.
It would be nice,...or is there some difficulty to keep the kind of section?
Anyway,your avatars are charming.
The charm might make me out of the line of this thread...,pardon me for it.

Yuko

Hi,artists

I've been just wondering why there is no category for painting works.
Just now I found I was not the only person for the idea of art forum as going through similar threads.
It would be nice,...or is there some difficulty to keep the kind of section?
Anyway,your avatars are charming.
The charm might make me out of the line of this thread...,pardon me for it.

Yuko

Hello Yuko,
welcome to Bird Forum. The wildlife art subforum here is very lively, friendly and active and I'm sure you'll fit right in, so feel free to join in whenever you want to.

Mike

Thank you Mike,

your kind sugession led me to visit another thread of this forum.
I found I just did't know how forum's branchs act. I'm going to spend prenty of time to enjoy the members works. It's joyous!

I myself have never get to finish a bird painting well. My birds looks just a mass of some color and not real nor alive.

I like Marjiolein Bastin's birds for its feathery presence, and Kaii Higashiyama's Snow morning,in which you'll see a oriental turtle dove.
His bird-work is much less in number, but that painting talks me a bird's life.
Maybe the bird in the painting is young and still alone,or lost one's partner...,When I meet the kind of birds,they usually being a pair.

Yuko

Hello Yuko,
welcome to Bird Forum. The wildlife art subforum here is very lively, friendly and active and I'm sure you'll fit right in, so feel free to join in whenever you want to.

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back