• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IE warning (1 Viewer)

Its interesting how many people continue to use IE after many years of proof of its vulnerability.

I recently looked at what percentage of people use what browsers when visiting my website and was amazed that IE was still almost 55%.

Its interesting how many people continue to use IE after many years of proof of its vulnerability.

I recently looked at what percentage of people use what browsers when visiting my website and was amazed that IE was still almost 55%.

Probably because, like me, they are too terrified to change in case it all goes t_ts up and they can't sort it out! As is often said "If it ain't broke don't fix it" which I know is rather head-in-the-sand but you will get my drift.

To be serious - does anyone know if Firefox works with AOL or perhaps more pertinently, the other way around? If so, is it tricky to get it to work? Info will be appreciated.

Adrian

Probably because, like me, they are too terrified to change in case it all goes t_ts up and they can't sort it out! As is often said "If it ain't broke don't fix it" which I know is rather head-in-the-sand but you will get my drift.

To be serious - does anyone know if Firefox works with AOL or perhaps more pertinently, the other way around? If so, is it tricky to get it to work? Info will be appreciated.

Adrian

Adrian,
If you install another browser, you do not have to deinstall IE or anything, you just double-click the other browser instead of the IE browser!
If you have any problems just go back to IE.
There is an option to change your default browser, but you dont need to worry about that until you are happy with the change.

I am currently using Firefox and so far like it. Safari kept asking for a password which I didn't have but I just kept canceling the request without any consequences. Does anyone know anything about this? Gates no longer makes IE for Mac. I think to be fair the problem with IE/Windows is it's used by the vast majority so if you're out to cause mischief you're going to attack the biggest target.

The current IE scare is only an Anti Virus company trying to frighten you. After all that's how they make their money.

A website has to be configured to be nasty, or accept feeds from one that is nasty. It is currently on a handful of Chinese websites aimed at those trying to download illegal games. The exploit in IE allows the site to run malware on your machine, the current sites using the exploit are trying to steal game passwords. It is exactly the same malware that you can get via emails, via installing pirate software or by clicking other links on dodgy websites. If you have updated anti malware software that will stop it being run no matter what source it comes from.

Microsoft is working on a patch and has workarounds for those who insist on exploring the underbelly of the net in the meantime.

As regards other browsers, yes there are lots out there. But none are intrinsically any better than IE, if everybody started using Firefox those who want to dump malware on you would just start looking for holes in Firefox (or the next big thing).

Personally I find Firefox very clunky, especially v3, and a fair few sites still don't work right on it. I do use it if I have to delve into the nether regions of the Net, just to be sure, but for day to day use IE is fine.

Just keep that Anti virus up to date and don't click on a link offering Chinese knock off computer games!

Adrian

I know where you're coming from. I'm always terrified to upgrade my Coppermine Gallery software after finding a blank screen after previous "upgrades". As posted though, you can install Firefox and keep IE on at the same time. I have three browsers on my machine (Google Chrome is the third) for testing purposes.

The current IE scare is only an Anti Virus company trying to frighten you. After all that's how they make their money.

I think you're right, the whole story had a bit of an odour to it. Still, I think Firefox is far safer to use.

I am pleased I have Firebox after reading the article. Scary thoughts run through a persons mind. Thanks for bringing it our attention :t:

This may be a little off the straight and narrow here, but I thought I would mention this to others here. ;)

I delete all my temp Internet files each and every day after I have logged out of the Forums I am a member of at the moment. Just a daily clear out.
While on IE I noticed a 'Phishing' banner would appear for a second while the temp internet files where deleted. Made me wonder what was going on.

I felt quite concerned about it, and wondered if this has any connection to using IE (i have been on Firefox for a few weeks now)

Now I been using Firefox, no phishing with no banner appearing at all. I have all my virus and spyware up to date, and I scan the PC on a regular basis too.

Strange things going on - me thinks :eek!:

Last edited:
If you have up-to-date anti-virus software and a firewall, then I don't see that there would be a problem with IE and any potential nasties finding their way in via that browser.
I have both IE and Firefox installed on my computer but tend to use IE more because I prefer it and I find Firefox slower.

I have tried Opera, it's ok. I would not use Safari as it comes from the same stable as ITUNES and QUICKTIME. I like to have a choice what software I instal.

Ha Ha, that's the pot calling the kettle black, sure Mr Gates wouldn't dream of making proprietary software..... ;)

If you have up-to-date anti-virus software and a firewall, then I don't see that there would be a problem with IE and any potential nasties finding their way in via that browser.

I had my antivir up to date and a firewall, and I was infected with a virus (from a San Diego business site). I eventually had to have Prevx technicians remove it through remote operation of my computer. It was very persistent and stubborn to remove, it took them over an hour with sophisticated software tools. I tried unsuccessfully to remove it with the usual remedies for over a day.

The point is it was a new virus ( or more properly a Stealth Malware) that Microsoft had not yet issued a security patch for. Firefox was not vulnerable to it.

I just don't trust IE anymore, I keep it on my system because there are some sites that don't work properly in Firefox.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back