• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, Ellis Island, New York/New Jersey, USA (1 Viewer)

Hanuta06

I saw this gull in mid September on Ellis Island, New York/New Jersey. Since I am not from the East Coast, I’m unsure of his/her identity. He/she looks a bit like a ring-billed, but his/her legs and beak are really not yellow. Could he/she be a hybrid or immature bird? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• New-York-City-334-700x467m.jpg
    New-York-City-334-700x467m.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 104
Would agree with Christian that it's a Ring-billed Gull.

But I would disagree with him that it is an "adult" (by which I take it he means, "definitive basic" - or whatever the equivalent term is in "gull-ese"). This is what I would call a third-winter bird - one moult away from definitive. Note that the mantle and underparts are very "adult-ish", but the wing-tips are much more extensively black than a definitive bird. Also, as noted, the bare parts are not quite like an adult - the feet would be brighter, and the ring on the bill more sharply defined, were this a full adult Ring-billed.
Cheers,

Hi, its a Ring-billed Gull, but not an adult.Its pinkish bill base, dull legs,rather dark iris, lack of white tips to the primaries all point to it being a 2nd winter bird.

cheers,S

Thanks for all the information, everyone! Your help has been appreciated. And the link that JanJ posted was really informative. I'll save it for future reference.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back