• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon adapters for Nikon 1 camera (1 Viewer)

RJM

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
Nikon will release two new digiscoping adapters for their Nikon 1 cameras for use on both the EDG and Nikon Fieldscopes w/DS eyepieces.

Nikon DSB-N1

Nikon DSA-N1

The DSA-N1 looks and works like the Swaro ATX APO adapter but with an 18mm focal length.

Correct Jason. You can see the system chart near the middle of the page here.

Unfortunately, it seems the EDG 20-60x zoom is not compatible as is the 75x and 25x LER.

Correct Jason. You can see the system chart near the middle of the page here.

Unfortunately, it seems the EDG 20-60x zoom is not compatible as is the 75x and 25x LER.

I have the 25x LER ! Very strange why they do not make it compatible with all the eyepiece ... Seems third party adapter is the way to go !

While it is not clear from info provided so far I suspect the FEP-38W will be the optimal eyepiece to use with the DSA-N1 on the EDG85 scopes. This yields an effective ~fl=1850mm @F8 on a Nikon 1 camera. On the Fieldscope ED82 there is really only 1 eyepiece choice, the 30x DS for ~fl=1450mm @F6.6.

Frankly, I think the only advantages over the DSB-N1 is less fuss in aligning the eyepiece and lens and less overall weight. I would prefer to shoot the Nikon 1 with FT1 Nikon lens adapter, retaining the lens AF and VR capabilities for far smaller/lighter kit.

Yay! I for one am happy, as I was looking to upgrade to a 1, but dreading the hassle with a custom adapter. I prefer these out-of-the-box system solutions. Yet now, I dread the price |:D|

Rick

If using the DSA-N1 with the V1, do one shoot with reference to the LCD display or shoot using the electronic viewfinder?

Was thinking of upgrading my P300 and the V1 (or may be V2) is top on the list now with the release of the DSA-N1 and DSB-N1 adaptors.

Do you think it is possible to get decent shots of slow flying birds in flight using the ED82/V1/DSA-N1 combo under good lighting condition (like what Jason is doing with his EDG82/FSA-L2/D300 combo?

Hooray once again

See Toh

Yay! I for one am happy, as I was looking to upgrade to a 1, but dreading the hassle with a custom adapter. I prefer these out-of-the-box system solutions. Yet now, I dread the price |:D|

The customized adaptor (similar to DSB-N1) specially crafted by a Japanese digiscoping shop costs about 2/3 the price of a V1 before shipping;)

Rick

If using the DSA-N1 with the V1, do one shoot with reference to the LCD display or shoot using the electronic viewfinder?

Was thinking of upgrading my P300 and the V1 (or may be V2) is top on the list now with the release of the DSA-N1 and DSB-N1 adaptors.

Do you think it is possible to get decent shots of slow flying birds in flight using the ED82/V1/DSA-N1 combo under good lighting condition (like what Jason is doing with his EDG82/FSA-L2/D300 combo?

Hooray once again

See Toh

If I had a V1 I could not imagine using anything but the EVF.

I think a real dslr is the right tool for BIF shots but I also think the BIF shots Jason gets is primarily due to his skill and not the kit.

Still practising with the DSA-N1. Shot this obliging subject at low light condition at ISO400. Processed using Photoshop 5.

Attachments

• rose-ringed parakeet1.jpg
    rose-ringed parakeet1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 171
  • rose-ringed parakeet2.jpg
    rose-ringed parakeet2.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 102
  • rose-ringed parakeet3.jpg
    rose-ringed parakeet3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 126
  • rose-ringed parakeet4.jpg
    rose-ringed parakeet4.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 80
Another two images to share. The first is shot at ISO200 and cropped 26% while the second is shot at ISO100 and cropped 25%.

Attachments

• 8324267917_388cd19470_c.jpg
    8324267917_388cd19470_c.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 8324268349_fbd52651d4_c.jpg
    8324268349_fbd52651d4_c.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 164
Digiscoped this back-lit raptor using the Nikon DSA-N1/82mm Fieldscope/30x EP combo.

Settings: ISO200 1/250s +1EV.

Got to set to +2EV first to get a bright enough image to manual focus properly.

Image cropped 45% and processed with Adobe Camera Raw in CS5.

Attachments

• booted eagle.jpg
    booted eagle.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 170
So I calculate that at comparable effective focal lengths of ~1500mm the V1 is 2 stops slower than your P300. Do you think the gain in ISO performance with the V1 has been a worthy upgrade? Do you feel limited by the fixed focal length compared to the P300s 1000mm-3000mm useful range?

So I calculate that at comparable effective focal lengths of ~1500mm the V1 is 2 stops slower than your P300. Do you think the gain in ISO performance with the V1 has been a worthy upgrade? Do you feel limited by the fixed focal length compared to the P300s 1000mm-3000mm useful range?

Hi Rick

I switched over to the V1 primarily because of the electronic viewfinder which make locating bird much easier for me. Just to elaborate, I wore glasses and could not see things clearly when it is too near to my eyes. So every time I digiscope birds, I got to take off/put back on my glasses until I get the bird onto the LCD screen of the P300. Once I get the subject onto the LCD, I will have to take off my glasses and start focusing the scope to get a sharp image before pressing shutter. This process of taking off/putting on my spectacles is really a pain and I duno how many birds I have missed because of this hassle. It is the main reason why I switch to the V1 which has a Electronic Viewfinder. On top of the viewfinder, I could shoot in raw format and also at a faster shutter speed with the V1.

As to the range of the new digiscoping setup, I digiscope between 1050mm to 1650mm with my P300. So a fixed focal length of 1458mm is alright with me.

Image quality appeared to be much better than the P300 (especially at higher ISO) contingent to the user getting a good manual focus on the subject. But getting a correct manual focus is a big challenge especially when shooting a back-lit or moving subject. I am still learning how to do this correctly and quickly.

The V1 also allow me to shoot birds in flight to get IDable record shots. The attached image of the dark morph Booted Eagle in flight was digiscoped with the V1. The image was out of focus but one can ID the bird conclusively from it.

My main disappointment with the V1 is that when using the wireless shutter release, I can only shoot in single shot mode and have to wait about 1-2 seconds before I can press shutter again.

Attachments

• booted eagle.jpg
    booted eagle.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 115
Manual focus with similar dslr adapters was always an issue for me too. Looks good on the LCD but mostly just a little bit soft on the PC.

Might be best to get the new Nikon 1 prime 18.5mm f1.8 and at least have AF in camera. Beta testing here in Japan on the Kowa and Swaro scopes with their respective zoom eyepieces looks good. Effective ~1000mm-3000mm focal lengths @~F4-12. A lens/eyepiece adapter is out this week, but looks to be expensive at JPY30,000!

Last edited:
Manual focus with similar dslr adapters was always an issue for me too. Looks good on the LCD but mostly just a little bit soft on the PC.

Might be best to get the new Nikon 1 prime 18.5mm f1.8 and at least have AF in camera. Beta testing here in Japan on the Kowa and Swaro scopes with their respective zoom eyepieces looks good. Effective ~1000mm-3000mm focal lengths @~F4-12. A lens/eyepiece adapter is out this week, but looks to be expensive at JPY30,000!

Rick,

Do u have the website link for the testing ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back