• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collimation adjusted - what can I expect now..? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I have not yet received my Nikon EDG 8x42 from service. According to the service guy, there is no rubber armoring in stock - that is the reason why the service has taken a long time (about three weeks now). I will instead get the bino back temporarily while waiting for the rubber armoring to arrive.

Everything else I wanted to get fixed on the bino were in all cases fixed. He had, among other things adjusted the image (the collimation) because it was not perfect from the factory. It was not much wrong, but not perfect either.

The question is if I will notice any difference in optical performance..what do you think? Perhaps slightly wrong collimation was something that contributed to the problem of focus and vision I have experienced (I've mentioned this in another thread here on BF)??

Last edited:
Hi Kingfisher,

I looked at your earlier post in the other thread. I notice along with the collimation problem that you had trouble with a stretched Rubber Ring Cover on the focus wheel and "bubbling" on the covers of the binocular.

Is the Nikon 8x42 EDG you are getting repaired the 2nd version? I assume so because you are in Europe and the first version EDG I was only sold in the USA and not sold in Europe.

How long have you owned your 8x42 EDG?

Bob

Last edited:
I have had my EDG 8x42 for about 3 years now. It is the 2nd version!

Thank you.

Yours must be among the first ones sold in Europe beginning around mid - 2010 to 2011 if my memory is correct.

The EDG I, which came out in the USA in 2008 or 2009 and which was discontinued by mid 2010 or so, also had problems with a stretchy rubber focus wheel cover and "bubbling" of the covering.

I had read that Nikon had redesigned the rubber focus wheel cover with some mesh backing that took care of the stretching. Did you get any information about that?

Bob

Last edited:
Thank you.

Yours must be among the first ones sold in Europe beginning around mid - 2010 to 2011 if my memory is correct.

The EDG I, which came out in the USA in 2008 or 2009 and which was discontinued by mid 2010 or so, also had problems with a stretchy rubber focus wheel cover and "bubbling" of the covering.

I had read that Nikon had redesigned the rubber focus wheel cover with some mesh backing that took care of the stretching. Did you get any information about that?

Bob

No, I did not get any information about that. The only thing the service guy mentioned to me was that the rubber focus wheel cover had dried! :eek!:

I have not yet received my Nikon EDG 8x42 from service. According to the service guy, there is no rubber armoring in stock - that is the reason why the service has taken a long time (about three weeks now). I will instead get the bino back temporarily while waiting for the rubber armoring to arrive.

Everything else I wanted to get fixed on the bino were in all cases fixed. He had, among other things adjusted the image (the collimation) because it was not perfect from the factory. It was not much wrong, but not perfect either.

The question is if I will notice any difference in optical performance..what do you think? Perhaps slightly wrong collimation was something that contributed to the problem of focus and vision I have experienced (I've mentioned this in another thread here on BF)??

We all have--to varying degrees--the ability to compensate for SMALL errors in parallelism of line of sight. This is spatial accommodation. If the error is within a small zone of your personal spatial accommodation, the result to you will be as good as collimation. Spatial accommodation is what most of the screw tweakers depend on when they say they have "collimated" their binocular, which, in most cases they have not.

I know it's semantics, but it's pretty important semantics.

If you are the only one to use the instrument, be happy and enjoy. If someone else uses it and complains, that's the reason.

Bill

Last edited:
If you are the only one to use the instrument, be happy and enjoy. If someone else uses it and complains, that's the reason.

Bill

Bill,
I experienced a good example of what you say, recently, I bought an old samsung BA compact which was way out of alignment, I peeled back the rubber and tweaked the screws until I had it pretty much spot on for me, checked on my home made scope, it was fine, quite happy viewing. I took it, together with another pair to a sporting event, to loan them to a friend. He put them to his eyes and immediately frowned and started messing with the focus, then said, I can't get these focused right, the image is little off. I swapped him and he found the others, untouched from new, fine for him, but I had no problems using the samsung.

Ben

Bill,
I experienced a good example of what you say, recently, I bought an old samsung BA compact which was way out of alignment, I peeled back the rubber and tweaked the screws until I had it pretty much spot on for me, checked on my home made scope, it was fine, quite happy viewing. I took it, together with another pair to a sporting event, to loan them to a friend. He put them to his eyes and immediately frowned and started messing with the focus, then said, I can't get these focused right, the image is little off. I swapped him and he found the others, untouched from new, fine for him, but I had no problems using the samsung.

Ben

Thanks Ben:

As I blowhard I've come to appreciate it, very much, when someone chimes in that I just may be right about something. I just try to use what I know to help my neighbor, but too often it is taken in ways I didn't intend.

Bill

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Nikon Prostaff 7 binoculars about 5 months ago.
Within a couple of weeks the focus wheel was useless.
It would not focus distance at the end of its travel.
I took them back to Wilkinsons in Kendal who returned them to Nikon.
They came back from Nikon within 3 weeks and have been faultless since then.
There was a noticeable difference and the focus wheel works perfectly.
Very pleased with Wilkinsons and the binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back