• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And The Winner Is !! (1 Viewer)

KC:
It seems to be a contest with some questions. I do hope you and any moderators,
will not be considered in any contest. The fine print would include that.
Tell us what you know about that?

Jerry

Jerry
The saddest thing is that even now with the contest scheduled to having a drawing tomorrow, (She Who Must Not Be Mentioned) still has over a 1 in 10 chance of winning, and along with 2 others, somewhere between a 1 in 4 or 5 chance. Since my post to start this thread, it appears there are only 254 additional posts. What do you calculate your odds? Over 1 in 1000? Or have you gotten greedy and sneaked into the 1 in 700realm?

I can't wait to see the comments when one of them wins, as I am hoping they will.

I've got my fingers crossed and I'm rooting for you guys - go BF ers gone wild!!

This is why I suggested over and over that the contest be scrapped and started over. I know I posted a lot of times when that was encouraged by the original contest rules.

But if they insist on running it that way and the mods refuse to delete all those multiple posts you can't expect any winner (except a moderator involved) to be at blame in this.

I still say hold off tomorrows drawing until the posts can be cleaned up or scrap it and start over to make it fair to everyone. What a mess. Instead of a feel good giveaway there will likely be some hard feelings.

Oh well, that's life. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Jerry
The saddest thing is that even now with the contest scheduled to having a drawing tomorrow, (She Who Must Not Be Mentioned) still has over a 1 in 10 chance of winning, and along with 2 others, somewhere between a 1 in 4 or 5 chance. Since my post to start this thread, it appears there are only 254 additional posts. What do you calculate your odds? Over 1 in 1000? Or have you gotten greedy and sneaked into the 1 in 700realm?

I can't wait to see the comments when one of them wins, as I am hoping they will.

I've got my fingers crossed and I'm rooting for you guys - go BF ers gone wild!!

Tom:
I am not worried about winning, as I did not enter. I would not have
been selected anyway. Your post points out how ??? this was handled.

Jerry

I have no hard feelings toward anyone or anything regarding this contest, no matter who wins, as I am merely amused by it all. I only started this thread to point out how a generous and well intentioned offering by Charles had been highjacked by a few into what I felt was becoming an absurdity. I am sure that Charles never imagined in his worst nightmare, that some would have turned it into what it became.

To me, the most logical and fairest way to get the train back on the tracks would have been to reset everyones entry at one, with the one per day rule going forward. By not doing so, the special 3 will have a very significant statistical advantage over others no matter how long this thing runs.

BC

I saw nothing in the original contest rules that encouraged marathon posting sessions, so why be sorry now?

Tom

"Give a person an inch, and they will take a mile"

It's hard to believe you don't have hard feelings when you claim the contest was "hijacked by a few".

To me, the most logical and fairest way to get the train back on the tracks would have been to reset everyones entry at one, with the one per day rule going forward. By not doing so, the special 3 will have a very significant statistical advantage over others no matter how long this thing runs.

Couldn't agree more. If those early posting days are not wiped out then the contests fairness factor will never be accomplished. Changing the rules to one per day after many of us have multiple posts just makes it worse IMO.

If I remember correctly the original OP (has it been altered to reflect the new rules) say you could post as often as you liked and every post counted. That seems like encouragement. The fact some saw it that way demonstrates how unclear it was.

I don't have much in the way of good feelings about this anymore. If I win it's going to feel like a lose and if I lose well I've lost that way too. But until March I have my early multiple posts hanging over my head. Is there a way I can wipe them out? Tell me and I'm there.

I guess what I will do is contact the mods and request all my multiple posts from those first days be removed. I have no idea if they will oblige.

Why the Zen Ray rep is not chiming in to correct this situation is really beyond me.

Last edited:
BC

Observations don't necessarily transalate into feelings. As I said - I am fairly amused by it all.

And I am puzzled by your sudden conversion to the concept of fairness, as when a few were spamming the thread, they certainly didn't seem overly concerned about it, until I pointed it out. After all, isn't that the whole purpose of spamming the thread - to stack the odds in ones favor, thus creating an unfair situation for others and putting them at a disadvantage?

Outside of the Confessional, I have often wondered why remorse only seems to be shown after one gets caught? One of lifes mysteries I guess.

Tom

"If that's what you believe, then that's the way it must be"

Last edited:
Go back and read my posts on this issue. I stated pretty early on I didn't think the way the contest was set up was going to be as fun as one vote per person. I think I made this comment on the first or maybe second day. I saw what was coming but hell I wanted to try a bin I might never spring for myself. And I was transparent about my motives all the way through this thing.

I'm not at all calling foul play towards others on this like some might be. I'm suggesting the way I see it as most fun for everyone and so that if someone wins for multiple posting (many of us have done it you included correct??) they're not going to get vilified in these forums.

I'd like to get back to the fun part. I don't want to be disliked because I followed rules put in place in the OP. I'm human, I'd feel bad if others here start pointing fingers at me if I win. That doesn't mean I'd respect them for it or agree with their POV.

Last edited:
Post # 188 I had not made any multiple post at that time. (my first double post was #533/534) and here's the post.
Here's my take on it. I would have much preferred to have this contest run on one vote each. Give it a week to let everyone enter and then draw from that pool. Let's face it, most of us would be delighted to win, want to win and want to give ourselves the best chance to win. Some here can't spring for top end binocs at this time and would love the experience of having some.

But there's the embarrassment of appearing too greedy about it. So the then you have to think about what amount of posting won't look to needy or greedy and try to strike that balance. For me that's not a comfortable position to be in and blah blah blah.

But I didn't make the rule and they did with the intent that we would keep on posting to win. So I say go for it. Post once every five minutes if you want and I certainly won't think the lesser of anyone who does it. Maybe you'll win and appreciate those bins more than I ever would.

So best of luck to every one including me.

Last edited:
Ha Ha!! I think you all need to get a life and stop squabling like little children on a playground....''you got more posts than me, thats not fair...i'm not playing anymore!....

the way I see it is it's a free prize draw, if someone want's to post more than once, ten time's or a thousand to raise there chances of winning then surely that should be allowed, there's a lot of sour grapes going on I think.....If you win, great...if you don't, tuff shit, suck it up!!

Ha Ha!! I think you all need to get a life and stop squabling like little children on a playground....''you got more posts than me, thats not fair...i'm not playing anymore!....

the way I see it is it's a free prize draw, if someone want's to post more than once, ten time's or a thousand to raise there chances of winning then surely that should be allowed, there's a lot of sour grapes going on I think.....If you win, great...if you don't, tuff shit, suck it up!!

:t:

I'm all for one vote, but since you asked to limit it to one vote a day I'll have to post about a thousand times to catch up and then vote once a day.

I'll probably just run w/one and let the bino chips fall where they may.

ETA: I'm rich because of the deals I get as an American, so I think I can buy better.

Besides I already own a Kruger and a Sightron. What more could a fella want? Ha, ha, ha!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back