• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Moorhen or Common Gallinule (1 Viewer)

Using names of authors and their abbreviations in databases like eBird to identify species seems to be problematic, for example:

Johann Friedrich Gmelin (1748–1804):
J. F. Gmelin, 1780 = Gm. = Gmel. = J. F. Gmel. = Gmelin, 1780
Samuel George Gottlieb Gmelin (1744–1774):
S. G. Gmelin, 1770 = Gm. = Gmel. = S. G. Gmel. = SG Gmelin

I think that sort of commission should create list of official abbreviations - long like J. F. Gmelin, 1780 and short ones like J. F. Gmel.
similar to these ones:

List of botanists by author abbreviation
List of authors of names published under the ICZN (International Code of Zoological Nomenclature)

They would ( should ) be, for the 'new' species.

Chris

Not even for "new" species author and date would (should) change. Only when you describe a taxon completely new to science or when you move to a different genus and the name becomes preoccupied you assign it a new name and author and date become new (at least for the junior name).

Unless you want authors and dates for common names?

Theo

A substantial majority of birders get angry about learning new taxonomies. Learning dates and names of authors would probably push some to homicidal sprees :p

BUBO Listing flags up a species as being a rarity within the listing area chosen, so eBird should be able to do the same. If galeata appears as American Gallinule, and chloropus as Common Gallinule but with a rarity marker against it, I think that should sort it out, barring nigh-on wilful ignorance.

Since some of the discussion has turned to eBird's ability to flag sightings, I want to be perfectly clear that the system is quite capable of doing this at a broad or very fine scale (e.g., county, or sometimes even an individual island) anywhere in the world as long as we have regional experts helping with the data quality in that region. Those records are flagged and not displayed publicly until validated. (The ones Mysticete refers to probably went out on the Rare Bird Alert features with clear "Unconfirmed" flagging...i.e., use at your own risk!) At the broad scale, we have no issues whatsoever with data quality for the two moorhen species (just that we need more data on both to fully display their range!).

Eurasian Moorhen: http://ebird.org/ebird/map/commoo3
Common Gallinule: http://ebird.org/ebird/map/comgal1

Do let me know if anyone spots observations that are questionable! In fact, before sending this post, I had to invalidate two records of Common Gallinule that were appearing for Greece, because of a minor bug in the data quality system there (also now fixed). Those records now are invalidated (you cannot zoom in and find those points on the map), but they do illustrate that some people even select Common Gallinule when birding in Europe. Wilful ignorance or not, it does happen.

So eBird can certainly keep out-of-range gallinules from polluting Eurasia and moorhens away from the Americas, but the unseen data quality issue is that we are invalidating perfectly valid records of both simply because the person selected the wrong species. We don't change people's records in eBird (except when taxonomic updates occur), so if they want to affirm that they saw Common Gallinule in Sweden, they can do so. But we won't let that record appear in eBird without stellar documentation. And of course, a rarity flag (even if it keeps it form appearing in public data) still does not necessarily help people understand why Common Moorhen, which their field guide clearly has printed right in front of them, is not a valid option. This is part of why I DO care about common names. For better or worse, they are the currency of many (most!) birders, so to the extent that they can be stable, and understandable, it is a good thing for eBird, BirdTrack, and similar projects. With eBird being global, it magnifies those challenges (relative to BirdTrack, for example). For what it's worth, bird names in eBird are also customizable in 7+ versions of Spanish, Australian and U.K. English, 3 versions of French, as well as Haitian, Icelandic, Indonesian, and several other languages.

The foundation of any species in eBird is certainly a proper scientific name and citation, but it seems that many here are conflating a name with a taxonomic concept. Scientific names are not a sacrosanct identifier of a taxonomic concept; to the contrary, because of the rigid rules of nomenclature (which I am not fighting, but which do make some things confusing), they actually can be applied to multiple taxonomic concepts. A taxonomic concept refers to a distinct population of birds with shared traits. On the other hand, a name, like G. chloropus, just refers to the individual first described, really. From there, it can be applied as representative of a species, or subspecies, from the population to which is was believed to belong. But since those populations are different whenever species limits are revised, it does not help you to know if G. chloropus refers to the cosmopolitan species or the Eastern Hemisphere one.

Denis Lepage's Avibase does a superb job maintaining this distinction.
Consider for example the name that started this debate.

http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?lang=EN&avibaseid=75F403386416287D&sec=summary&ssver=1

Gallinula chloropus has been applied to the population including just "present day" chloropus, chloropus and nesiotis (Tristan Moorhen), or "present day" chloropus and galeata (i.e., New World and Old World; or Common Gallinule and Common Moorhen).

My main recommendation was that since Gallinula chloropus must be the scientific name for what is now the Eastern Hemisphere bird, committees that decide on Common Names should begin to more carefully consider trying not to apply the same common name to parent and daughter species. Using the combination of Common Moorhen/Gallinula chloropus for the worldwide population AND for the one restricted to Eurasia, Africa, and Australasia is, I think, confusing. Changing the common names to be unique, would remedy this. I have much less interest in what those names are, as long as they can be (more or less) agreed upon. But I do like Laughing Moorhen for the American bird.

Oh let me be clear that I do realize ebird does a fairly good job of sorting out bogus records. A lot of which is due to the thanks of great regional reviewers. The weird reports have as you said either been unconfirmed reports posted on ABA rare birds facebook page, or the ebird rarity map, although I have no clue who is actually in charge of that latter website

My take though is the use of new names for the common moorhen complex might make the job simpler for you?

Oh and here is a link to the ebird rarity map
http://birdingonthe.net/gmaps/eBirdMap.html

Last edited:
".... we opted for Eurasian Moorhen for G. chloropus for Clements/eBird."

Good call.

Would North American Moorhen not be a bad idea for G. galeata and South American Moorhen for G. melanops?

Shi Jin

North American is not used too much in common names...I think it is generally considered to long a descriptor (unlike say African or Eurasian). Also lacks a certain "elegance" IMHO.

North American is not used too much in common names...I think it is generally considered to long a descriptor (unlike say African or Eurasian). Also lacks a certain "elegance" IMHO.

But it does imply a certain precision, if only with thermonuclear accuracy...
MJB;)

We could always shorten it to N.A. 8-P

Niels

Yankee Moorhen....? ;) I just call it 'American' on my personal list....if the South American one gets split then it'll be 'Neotropic' for me

What many folks on this side of the pond object to is that we do not have "moors" over here, or, if we do, we do not know what they are. I picture a cold, fog enshrouded, mucky pond in Scotland somewhere. That's the last place I'd look for a Gallinule I'd most of its range. Again, the genus is Gallinula, what is wrong with Gallinule?

Andy

I really don't get the fuss - lets get the taxonomy right (i.e. scientific names) and let people call them by whatever common (local) name they want. Coming from Australia these differ as you cross state boundaries let alone continents...

A rose by any other name might smell as sweet, but if I call it a zarfilosi - & NO ONE else calls it that - how exactly are we going to communicate? The concept of scientific names as a universal 'language' for biology is great, but a) it breaks down when dealing with the birding public who often just can't be bothered to learn them, & b) it still allows for confusion with splits (did you mean G. chloropus s.s. or s.l.?).

What many folks on this side of the pond object to is that we do not have "moors" over here, or, if we do, we do not know what they are. I picture a cold, fog enshrouded, mucky pond in Scotland somewhere. That's the last place I'd look for a Gallinule I'd most of its range. Again, the genus is Gallinula, what is wrong with Gallinule?

Andy

Hi Andy,
See post 56 on the 'moor' point. I also agree there in preferring 'Gallinule' for global lists (though G.chloropus will forever be just 'Moorhen' to me).

All,
OK, another suggestion - not that elegant, and certainly not usable on a global scale, but how about American authorities (and any listing/reporting software that follows them) using American Gallinule for galeata and Siberian Gallinule for chloropus. It is hopelessly inaccurate about the range of chloropus, but indicates to American birders both that it is likely to be very rare and also where is the most likely source of vagrants. And I know what the moniker 'Siberian' attached to any species does to British birders - going weak at the knees, salivating etc, etc.

Bird names often have rich and valued heritages.

I've been told by knowledgeable friends (Barry Walker et al) that 'moor' of 'moorhen' traces back appropriately to Old English and predecessors meaning marsh or small pond. Not my expertise, but a quick online dictionary check of "moor" yields the following:

Origin: before 900; Middle English more, Old English mōr; cognate with Dutch moer, German Moor marsh. Old English mōr; related to Old Saxon mōr, Old High German muor swamp]

Not so bad a name after all!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back