• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-82 SV (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am looking information on this scope for visual observation terrestrial , not digiscoping, in your opinion it is a good qualitty scope for this purpose?
Bright, contrast, sharp image in all range of the zoom 20-60X ?
Thank you very much
Wachi

Hello,
I am looking information on this scope for visual observation terrestrial , not digiscoping, in your opinion it is a good qualitty scope for this purpose?
Bright, contrast, sharp image in all range of the zoom 20-60X ?
Thank you very much
Wachi

Hello Wachi,

It seems to me that the answer to your question depends on how you feel about chromatic aberration. CA appears as a color fringe around objects, particularly in high contrast situations where an object is seen against a plain, uniformly lit background (like the sky).

The 82 is an extremely durable, well built instrument (like almost all current Kowa products). It costs less than the other 80mm class Kowa scopes because it's built with what Kowa calls "ordinary glass". Kowa "ordinary glass" is really very, very good. (Kowa needs to rebadge the "ordinary", but that's another topic!) what you end up with is a quality built scope that has more CA than the others. In my experience the view is quite clear and sharp but a little colorful in certain situations.

CA really bothers some people and it's hardly noticed by others. If CA troubles you then I'd look elsewhere. Pentax 80 at around the same price point does a nice job on CA but, in my opinion, isn't as well built as the Kowa. If CA isn't an issue for you then I can't see why you wouldn't be thrilled with the Kowa.

Best to you,
Jerry

Last edited:
hello,
thanks for your response, there is some others spotting more economical that the Kowa 82-sv with ED lens like tke Celestron Regal 80, but the quality construction and the weight are too much mediocre, I think...
I understand that a good quality mechanical scope with a good lens is very important...not?
Regards
Wachi.

hello,
thanks for your response, there is some others spotting more economical that the Kowa 82-sv with ED lens like tke Celestron Regal 80, but the quality construction and the weight are too much mediocre, I think...
I understand that a good quality mechanical scope with a good lens is very important...not?
Regards
Wachi.

Wachi,

It would probably help to know how you plan to use the scope. I understand visual as opposed to photo, but are you planning to watch birds at your deck feeder, or it more like slogging through swamps looking for rare species?

I tend to favor durability because I was very hard on my equipment until recently but you might need something different depending on your uses.

Best,
Jerry

Hello,
I like visual observation only, no digiscoping.
And for this I am looking some spotting like the Kowa model, I heard good choses on they, but.....also on others spotters like Celestron Regal or Pentax...this model, the kowa 82SV is an achomat lens, no ED or Apo, and this is for me a big dude question.
For this reason, I like know if the good lens of the Kowa model worth on others ED lens( but no alpha scpes) model like Regals, Nikon Prostaff and similars...
Thanks all for your opinions.
Wachi

Hi Wachi,

I've recently purchased a used Kowa 824, which has ED glass, to compliment my 663. It's a fantastic scope and can be had at a really reasonable price second-hand in the UK. With my 45x 663 eyepiece + adapter it's truly great, so see no reason why the 60x zoom wouldn't work equally well. Certainly, good as the 663 is, I can see a difference between the two scopes when using the 45x.

Hi. I've never looked through a 82sV, so can't really say. Certainly though the 82mm will alow more resolution and light, but I don't know about the lack of ED glass. I have handled an 82sv though and it's a nice solid piece of glass. A slightly revised version of the 663 is coming out soon though - the 663m. The 663 is a great scope though. If you are birding in reasonable light at around 30x it is fantastic. Only if the light is poor and you're often using high mags then would you benefit, I think, from the larger objective.

"The 82 is an extremely durable, well built instrument (like almost all current Kowa products). It costs less than the other 80mm class Kowa scopes because it's built with what Kowa calls "ordinary glass". Kowa "ordinary glass" is really very, very good. (Kowa needs to rebadge the "ordinary", but that's another topic!) what you end up with is a quality built scope that has more CA than the others. In my experience the view is quite clear and sharp but a little colorful in certain situations. "

Given that and back to the OP's starting premise anyone know how this scope stacks up visually against say the older TSN 1, 2? A comparison to relate it against a fairly well know mark. I mean TSN 1, 2 vs 82sv with equal eyepieces.
The water proofing and sealing are obvious gains but is it even as good as what was when it comes to viewing? For some reason I see this one as a value series and have doubts. I'm thinking that is what the V is for value. I have the TSN1 but waterproof would be an assuring upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back