• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommended spotting scope for budget of 150gbp (1 Viewer)

waigy

I've spent about the last week researching spotting scopes, I'm learning slowly, but I'm not helped by the vast amount of scopes that have no reviews on line.

I do a fair bit of cycling and always have my camera and lenses in my lowepro Slingshot 102 AW bag.
So a compact scope like a C70 mini mak (lots of good reviews and can buy new for 76GBP) or the often mentioned Nikon ED50 looks like the ideal size for me as I could make room to fit them in my bag.

It will be for general use like looking across large rivers (1 or 2 miles) or viewing from hills and occasional wildlife spotting, though I like the fact that reviewers of the mini mak mention Saturn's rings.
I would prefer a zoom of roughly 20-60 though I know that cheaper scopes struggle above about 30x magnification.

My budget is up to about 150gbp and I usually prefer second hand as you can get better quality for the money.

If I got a bargain on a good quality larger scope I could look at ways to carry it with me.

Last edited:
This tends to be a higher-priced crowd. It does get tricky keeping sharp at 60x, to be fair.
The C70, C90, C8, etc folded reflectors are more like high f-ratio astronomical telescopes, with somewhat reduced contrast.
The main issue for astros is a reduced field of view at shorter distances. Over 200-300 yds and 60x, that doesn't matter
so much, but the barrel is longer.

There are many 20x-30x spotters in your range for lesser distances.
There are astros that will do 60x-100x easily, but they are not as portable or weatherized.
To have your cake (short barrel) and eat it too (60x or more) in a spotter takes ED lenses, and that
causes a steep price bump to occur. The folded reflectors at first appear to offer a way out, but the contrast
is lower. Refractor astros usually need more flocking (flat black barrel lining)
for daytime use and want distances over ~300meters,
and you're probably not going to pack them on your bicycle.

A note on bike portability, however: assuming you do get an ED spotting scope, it still needs aperature to
stay bright enough, weighing more, and at 60x-100x it will still need a very decent tripod. So....that might
keep it off your bike almost as effectively. So it's a rock and a hard place when it comes to higher power
and hiking or biking.

You can down-sample a shot from a C70 or C90, from 16-20MP to 1-2 MP (the most you see on a computer screen)
with Lanczos or Cubic Filtering, re-add saturation and contrast, and sharpen lightly....that would bridge the gap.

If you find a premium spotter with a composite body and use rocks or cars under a small table tripod, that
might put the rig back on the bicycle.

Last edited:
You might look at the Alpen line, they are amazing for the price. I had a couple before I lost my mind and most of my money upgrading which seems to happen to some folks. Of course no one but me would be subject to such a thing on a knowledgeable forum like this.
Steve
Who would rather have good optics and little money rather than the other way around, especially if the scope is subject to CA.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I bought a C70 mini mak on an impulse very soon after making this post (£79.90 including postage from telescope planet, will get it about Wednesday), but I still have the bug for spotting scopes and binoculars so I've carried on researching them and keeping an eye out in the classifieds.

I have a panasonic GH2 with 3 good lenses (including the 20mm f1.7), so getting a scope might get me into digiscoping as you mentioned optic nut.

I know zoom lenses are frowned upon, but I like zooming in on things so I have zoom binoculars and zoom lenses for my camera.
(I hope I haven't just freaked some of you out by saying that).

I had thought about the need to carry a tripod optic nut as everyone suggests a tripod even above 10x.
The tripod with the C70 gets some bad reviews, but a lot of the reviewers are astronomynists (my own word) so it might be ok for the occasional use I have in mind.

I found alpen scopes just a couple of days ago Stephen, but I don't think they are available over here.
As optic nut says there are quite a lot of scopes 20-60 x 60 and thereabouts quite cheap, but I'm getting to know the ones to avoid and watch out for.

I've seen some old optolyth scopes going fairly cheap, but as a casual user, just now I'm not massively concerned with chromatic aberrations and fringing etc.

I'll see how I get on with the C70, I reckon I'll be chuffed with it, but it might start me on the downward spiral of upgrading you mentioned Stephen.
I might be trading my car in for a Sworovski scope soon.

Last edited:
Helios Fieldmaster ED 60 is an option. I own one and its goes fine up to the 45x.

Nice deal, and it's lightweight. The right compromises.
I have a Swift #839 Seeker with 20x/40x and a 3-element objective.
It's clean at 40x but quite heavy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back